AuthorTopic: Series Gearbox Question  (Read 846 times)

Offline Miniman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Series Gearbox Question
« on: March 04, 2006, 17:53:09 »
I have a vehicle which has a perkins 4203 engine in and I have never seen a gearbox which has a filler on the top but this one does. If you look at a series gearbox on the top there is a round metal plate which has a small breather hole in it. Well where this is on my gearbox there is a tab which holds down a cap in place. If you get hold of the tab and slide it sideways you can then remove the cap. Will this mean it is a series 2 , 2a , 3 gearbox or will it tell you that its a certain age or year. The box has been replaced as it has GOOD BOX written in yellow paint on it.

Also where do you locate the gearbox No on the series gearboxes. I have all the floors out and tunnel out but still cant see the No.

Cheers Guys
WATER DRAWS LAND ROVERS LIKE IRON FILINGS TO A MAGNET
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Series3 90 look alike Project.
Skipton North Yorkshire

D E F R A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.

Offline H

Attack Member
Series Gearbox Question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 18:16:42 »
sounds like the box is particular to the perkins rather than the landy Chris, any idea what the Perkins came out of originally? btw this only one other box I know of with a filter but thats the mitsubishi invecs II (learning) tiptronic box found in the FTO. Doubt its a landy box Chris probably out of the perkins original vehicle, as you know as well as I do Bell housings on boxes vary massivly from vehicle to vehicle so its would take luck of lottery winning proportion to find a doner engine from another vehicle that mates up with the landies original box.

H

Offline James.Harwood

Attack Member
Series Gearbox Question
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 08:06:57 »
This sounds like an early S2 box, only got syncro on 3rd and 4th.

Can't remember where the box number is, there may be a plate on the bell housing, this will have details of last factory rebuild.

Got this type of box on mine, briliant for topping up the box with oil.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal