AuthorTopic: 2" lift verses spacers  (Read 8592 times)

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
  • Referrals: 0
2" lift verses spacers
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006, 16:13:48 »
Why not phone Sowden Tyres and ask what speed ratings they are, I think it's a 'Q' rating you want but they will know.  :wink:

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
xx
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2006, 16:19:06 »
yep the Colways are Q which is fine on road..

But them Machos still apeal..but the old story cannot have everything ya want..I like the Aggressive style

Marriage is the only war where you sleep with
the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4
Range Rover Bob Tail 3.5V8

Offline drmike

Attack Member
2" lift verses spacers
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2006, 16:52:39 »
The Machos are the right speed rating to be legal aren't they?

I would expect the Machos to be more aggressive in the mud etc. and you'll be stable at 60+ - how much faster would you want to go?

That said I would get Colways for my 90 as a set of road/laning tyres and keep the Atacama just for competition but I have some nice Michelins at the moment but if and when they wear out I expect I'll get Colways.

I suspect that you'll struggle to make a bad choice here if it's for laning. Don't over complicate the decision - you already like Colways and I would have thought they  were fine for laning.

Don't forget lots of people lane on BFG Wrangler MTR etc. which aren't really that aggreesive but represent a very good compromise for road/off road. For competition you'll normally go for the most aggressive you can as you're not on the public road. That said I got correctly speed rated chunky tyres so I can drive on road but usually drive on road wheels and change at the competition.

Mike

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
2" lift verses spacers
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2006, 17:44:42 »
I heard a 90 today driving past me , the tyre noise was incredible - it was on those anacondas shown above!

I may be able to if needed get my hands on a very good set of 5 used 235/85x 16 good year wrangler MTRs - very little tread worn off them. let me know.

Regards
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
ff
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2006, 20:49:28 »
I think its down to Machos and Colway as you say i am used to Colways and so far served me well..

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
2" lift verses spacers
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2006, 21:14:30 »
Direct tyres supplied my rubber, very competitive prices and excellent customer service(free plug guys...)

Ive always run colway MT's, excellent tyres, pretty good on road, good off road, and decent wear rates.
Ive now got Anacondas.............pretty good off road, but only in really sticky mud. pretty crappy on polished surfaces, or slippy rocks.

BLOODY AWFULL on the road. Believe it or not, they arent that noisy, but they wander like a [!Expletive Deleted!], and are a little prone to....shall we say.....locking up in the wet........

Id go for the Colway MT
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline Pike

Attack Member
2" lift verses spacers
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2006, 15:38:54 »
yeah go 4 the colways,cheap as chips so if you trash one it isnt gonna cost too much £.........
ex disco owner....soon to be a 90 owner

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
tyres
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2006, 17:17:14 »
looks like colways then cheers all for helpfull comments :lol:

does anyone want any new tyres as i spoke to the chap who owns Tyre company and he has said he would only charge £10.00 for delivery and also do the Tyres £2.00 each cheaper than on his site!! :lol:

Also if anyone wants 4 Colways at 270x70x16 i will be selling my old ones???

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
tips
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2006, 23:44:30 »
I go laning every weekend + i work on Salisbury plain which at this time of year is very wet and muddy with chalk tracks thrown in, i use my 90 for work and play-i use standard Bearmach HD springs with +2 in  pro comp gas shocks  extended bump stops , with 7jx16 Modular rims -fitted with 235/85/16s Bronco Rough/riders a BFG copy cant speak highly enough of them great off road and exellent on road-recomended at 40 each, dont get caught up in the hype , to go laning a standard landy is quite adaquite , with 235/85/16s you get the looks as well as a bit of air under the diff, i know people that have spent hundreds only to make their standard landy less competent and less driveable too, A good set of rubber and a bit of driving craft in a standard landy takes you most places off road, spend your money on an off road driving school it will do you more good than big tyres, high lifts, roof lights, rock sliders, etc etc .
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline timberdog

Attack Member
tyres
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2006, 07:47:18 »
cheers matey its took me to learn yhis from all on here thats why i am going for just the Tyres now..

You are right and apart from what i here you feel unstable on road and i dont fancey that with a lift kit!!

Just down to either Colways or Macho not sure but i run Colways at the mo and they are good on and off road and as you say sufficiant for owt!!

the
enemy.

Landys i Own:

90 COUNTY 200TDI
LIGHTWEIGHT 2 1/4

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
2" lift verses spacers
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2006, 19:38:32 »
machos are very good offroad.i had a set on my 110 before.they were fine.greenway and colway are the same company just different brand names.

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
2" lift verses spacers
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2006, 23:20:56 »
My ex mate ran machos on his rangie. I found it a bit wandery.
I make +2" block kits for £80 if you are interested.
I can also help with -" towers etc. PM me if you like !
Blocks are ok if your springs are ok. If they are all soggy then you will feel a bit worried on corners.
The small bits in the pic are shock extenders (copywritten) for the rear as they get stretched when fitting blocks.
No one else does these, These are included in the kit. cheaper than drop plates !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal