AuthorTopic: Rear brake sensor  (Read 731 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear brake sensor
« on: February 24, 2006, 21:14:15 »
Can anyone clarify how the brake pad sensor works. Im assuming that when they get low enough the wires in the pad make contact creating a circit bringing on the red warning light. If this is the case does the red light go on and off every time you apply the brake? The reason I ask is because my red warning comes on but not as soon as I start off after about 5 mins of driveing and then stays on. I have not checked the brake fluid leval yet so it could be that. Also when I checked the rear brake pads the conection where you plug in the pad wear sensor into..... broke off! leaving me with two wires! Can I just cut a new conector off a scrap Range Rover and conecte it too the wires left on mine?

Thanks again all

Jonny

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
Rear brake sensor
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 12:42:27 »
i think the brake pad wear sensor does indeed work the way you descibed, but i think your warning light is more likley to be fluid level, when you start driving the fluid starts sloshing about in the bottle giving you a lower reading thus putting on the light.
and i dont think there is any reason why you cant join a new plug onto the wires, a bit of vasaline on assembly keeps the water out and stops the corrotion.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Rear brake sensor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 14:09:18 »
I think from the wiring diagram that it works by sensing that the wire is broken, I'm not sure though.  It may also sense being connected to earth via the disk.  Mine comes on when it's raining :roll: so i just ignore it and check the brakes regularly instead.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
Rear brake sensor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 20:40:16 »
Thanks, I had a look at the brake fluid level today and I think it was quite low I put in about 250ml to bring it back up to the max level so Im 99% sure that was why the light was coming on, havent been out on a test drive yet though! With the back brake pad sensor I think ill try, (once I have confirmed that the light was comeing on to warn me of low brake fluid level) touching the two wires together and seeing if the light comes on. If it does Ill just solder a new plug on and that sould solve the problem, Ill let you all know

Jonny :(bigshock):

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal