AuthorTopic: SJ shocks and electrics does anyone know?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline 90Mike

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
SJ shocks and electrics does anyone know?
« on: February 17, 2006, 21:08:18 »
Does anyone know the lenght of a standard SJ shock absorber when at full travel.Also i think the last owner of my SJ project used it more like a submarine  :shock: being a diesel he said he has had the water over the dash any how i now have no dash waring lights ( oil, battery, hand brake temp and fuel gauge ) i still have 4X4 light and illumination lights :? , this worrys me a little bit because the water would of come over the fuse box and the relays under the dash does anyone have any ideas where to start with this fault  :-k
MRM Auto Centre
Unit 6 Central City Industrial Estate
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Services, Repairs and very soon MOTs also available rent a ramp for a day or on an hourly rate PM me for details.

Offline xmob

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 08:21:50 »
If it's been converted to a diesel, my gues would be that the lights aren't even connected.
Clyde 2.0 - Disco 200tdi
Bonnie - Freelander TD4 ES Premium

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 09:10:44 »
should still have some of those lights. I dont know how the dash in the Suzukis is done, I would imagine like most cars its a membrane circuit behind there. Take it out and give it a good clean, look for any corrosion around earth points and check the bulbs. It may be worth buying a fibreglass pen and going over all the contacts on relays, dash, the lot and giving it all a good clean. Look for bodges on the engin conversion.

If you have a multimeter you should be able to get a voltage return from the tank sender and should bhe able to neter out the oil pressure and handbrake switches, both of which should be shunted to earth when the handbreak is on and engine running.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline 90Mike

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 15:15:52 »
Thanks guys last owner said they were all working ok when i got it looks like i have got some investigation to do :roll:
MRM Auto Centre
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Services, Repairs and very soon MOTs also available rent a ramp for a day or on an hourly rate PM me for details.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 19:46:01 »
Guess what!

I just broke all my lights and my guages etc.

Bottom row of fuses, last fuse nearest the sterring column. Mine was corroded to crap. Pulling them all out to check for blown ones I suddenly find myself in your situation but the circuit also feeds the coil too (which wouldnt bother you)

Check that fuse and check the contacts.

I lost all but 4wd light, fuel guage and tacho. Plus the [!Expletive Deleted!] wouldnt start. Got in there with a fibreglass pen and its now ok. Also the fuse for interior lights was pretty corroded up too.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline 90Mike

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 21:51:12 »
:shock: Wow sounds just like it could i real be that lucky :D cant wait until monday now so that i can get into the lock up to try it out thanks again so much for all of your help i will let you know how i get on sorry for being thick but what is the fibreglass pen for ive never seen one :oops:
MRM Auto Centre
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 07:43:07 »
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Abrasive_Fibreglass_Pencil_3932/Abrasive_Fibreglass_Pencil_3932.htm

They are used for contact cleaning and preperation for circhit board construction/repair. They are just easier to get into this kind of place than an emery board or sandpaper. Watch the flaskes though, wear some gloves otherwise you'll end up with short bits of glass fibre on your hands and man, that itches.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline 90Mike

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 09:59:47 »
cheers mate down to maplin tomorrow then and theres me thinking it was some sort of dodgy pen to fill the log book out when you go to scrap  it cause you have had enough
thanks for all your help
mike
MRM Auto Centre
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 18:15:24 »
HEHEHE!

Let me know how you do.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal