AuthorTopic: New Disco - tyres and stuff?  (Read 4504 times)

Offline BigA

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
New Disco - tyres and stuff?
« on: January 08, 2006, 16:05:03 »
OK, i have brought myself a Disco, 300TDI and cant get wait to go and get it muddy.

But before i do, i think i best start getting it a bit more capable, so before i rush out and get a lift kit, snorkel etc. I think i am going to start with tyres.

so hear is the question, i am looking for some mud terrains, probably remoulds, any recommendations where to buy from?  should i use existing alloy wheels or get some modulars? what else do i need to take into account?  

also before i do, i am thinking of fitting breather kit, best to start as i mean to go on, and hopefully prolong some life in the old girl, i have seen these for sale on places such as ebay, but do i need to buy a kit, or can they be made up?

that should be a start for now i think.

Cheers in advance,

Andy
1978 Series III 88"

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 16:47:43 »
watching closely here as i can nick some ideas too  :wink:
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

PUX

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 17:05:40 »
i reakon if ur on a budget go for colway amazons and if ur going to go the lifted route go for a 2" lift  i went for a procomp set up with bearmach springs worked out at 265 pounds i think, but make sure u get extended brake lines they were not much more and if i was u go for steel wheels if u damage em in the middle of no where at least u can get ur hammer out and sort em for a quick fix as where as an alloy once u bust it thats it!!! :wink: also breather kits are exellent so glad i got mine bought it frm ebay a year ago for 35 pound :wink:

Offline TONY78

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 17:06:47 »
Hi Andy

Be carefull buying breather kit off e-bay, I bought 1 for £18 and it's a load of tosh! best off getting from proper shop in my opinion.

Tony
Getting there? slowly!

Offline bombx3

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 17:20:28 »
whats a breather kit :?:
 defender 200 tdi. 59,000m ,winch .spots,front rollcage,rear internalcage,snorkel,undersealed,polybushed,tweaked motor,roof tent ,muds ,noise reducers,stainless exhaust,3"lift+4 shocks,chequered plating,12 change cd ,cb,sound proof kit,sunroof,landrover carpet,wading kit.hilift jack,rock sliders jackable,axle breather kit,folding forward facing rear,roof rack to carry roof tent, seat,electric seat warmer.tilt meter,full stainlees exhaust,fire exstingsher thatcham alarm ,immobolizer , fsh and only used on sundays once a month,now 38" boggers,wide ange props,4pin diff ,ashcroft shafts,qt steering bar ,winch

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 17:22:34 »
Quote from: "pux"
i reakon if ur on a budget

Yes, unfortunately on budget this time, i brought nice set of BF Goodrich MT's for the 90, loved them, but if i want some money for anything else, gonna have to budget on tyres this time  :cry:
1978 Series III 88"

the loon

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 17:33:41 »
as Pux said go for 2" lifft but I would say go with decarbon shocks rather than the pro-comp
I know a few people who are either garage mechanics or build custome land rovers for off road and they all say your best of with the decarbons as they last longer and you get a garentee (I think its a 5 years) where as pro-comp seem to onle last a couple of year max(or so I'm told)
I've only ever used decarbons on a 2" lifted 90 and never had any problems but I'm about to get a disco in the next couple of weeks so will be watching with intrest

Offline LCW11

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 18:46:00 »
I HAVE JUST FITTED A 1'' LIFT FROM ....M&M 4X4 although it not given me enough room to fit 265 tyres its a great improvment from std. Went for the decarb shocks as ive have bad results fro pro comp in the past. I would highly recomend this kit. I kept with the 1'' lift as i want to keep the DISCO as near std as poss. as to retain the resale value, in the past when i have lifted vehicles it has devalued them as the resale market is only focused on the off roading buyers.

Enjoy your disco :wink:
LEE
New. Sony Mobile Phone Speakers and Blue tooth head set for sale £25 for both
---------------------------------------------------
The Adventure is were your wheels take you

Offline Doodlebug

Attack Member
Tyres & Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 19:39:08 »
I got my tyres from Bronco 4x4 at Leek. They were really helpful & their website www.bronco4x4.com give a tyre fitment guide for all landrovers.

I fitted 235/75/R16 Grizzly claws to mine as I didn't want to trim the arches, they are a bit expensive for remoulds but what a tyre. They are a bit noisy on road above 30mph but you get used to it and are speed rated to 100mph (if you can find a 300tdi that will do this speed!) but i've found them to be exceptional off road.

I lifter my Disco 1" at the front & 1.5" at the rear using Britpart springs & extended gas shocks from Paddocks as I didn't want to go over the top with the lift to keep some semblance of road manners ( I did dump the anti roll bars though, best thing I ever did)

Hope this helps.

Offline Hightower

Attack Member
Re: New Disco - tyres and stuff?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 19:44:40 »
Quote from: "BigA"
any recommendations where to buy from?

Go and see Gary at Nene (A43 on the way to Kettering).  He will be able to advise properly
Simon
1998 Disco Series II Td5 - Not standard
1972 88" Series 3 - The project

Macmillan 4x4 UK Challenge
1st Overall - 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005
3rd Overall - 2007

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 20:42:41 »
Andy,

I have to agree with Hightower, best thing is pop over to see Gary at Nene for tyre info.

Contact Gerard on http://www.wizardbilt.com/ for your breather kit, he builds all sorts of stuff and is a member of mud club too.

Regards
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 21:12:47 »
Quote from: "Frankie-Boy"
Andy,
Contact Gerard on http://www.wizardbilt.com/ for your breather kit, he builds all sorts of stuff and is a member of mud club too.

Cheers Frank, i have dropped him a mail for a price.

Got my wheels and tyres from Nene for the 90, and as said, very helpful.

Andy
1978 Series III 88"

Offline Spooky

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 21:43:00 »
Is it just me, or is there an awful lot of people on here who come from the Northampton area??? :?
Regards,
Mick Ghost

2000 Td5 ES, named 'Dixie'
Shiny Blue Crew 017

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 22:00:08 »
Quote from: "lee"
I HAVE JUST FITTED A 1'' LIFT FROM ....M&M 4X4 although it not given me enough room to fit 265 tyres its a great improvment from std. Went for the decarb shocks as ive have bad results fro pro comp in the past. I would highly recomend this kit. I kept with the 1'' lift as i want to keep the DISCO as near std as poss. as to retain the resale value, in the past when i have lifted vehicles it has devalued them as the resale market is only focused on the off roading buyers.

Enjoy your disco :wink:
LEE

got 265,s on mine with a 1" lift :D
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 22:07:04 »
Quote from: "Spooky"
Is it just me, or is there an awful lot of people on here who come from the Northampton area??? :?

thought that myself when i first found the site, handy really, well if you are in the Northampton area that is  :lol:
1978 Series III 88"

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 16:46:24 »
Quote from: "Spooky"

Sounds good to me as hopefully I will be buying my first house this side of summer and looking to move to aroung Rugby / Daventry way so will be close to loads of members!  :D
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 16:48:49 »

But before i do, i think i best start getting it a bit more capable, so before i rush out and get a lift kit, snorkel etc. I think i am going to start with tyres.

Andy

wont the tyres from your 90 fit the disco? If they would cant you pop down to your loacal tyre place and aks them to swap all the tyres from the disco to the 90 and vice versa? Surely that would be the cheapest option?

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 16:51:37 »
when you do get a snorkel go to paddocks as they are doing a Safari snorkel for £144 +vat at the moment which is the cheapest I have found. If you have ABS you will need a slightly different snorkel for some reason but it is still the same price.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 16:57:43 »
Quote from: "muddyjames"
when you do get a snorkel go to paddocks as they are doing a Safari snorkel for £144 +vat at the moment which is the cheapest I have found. If you have ABS you will need a slightly different snorkel for some reason but it is still the same price.

I will also be watching this topic closely as I am just starting to tweak my disco. I cut the bumper the other day. It was easy and should give me better approach angle. It looks smart. I would put photos on my member page but cant remember / work out how to do it!

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 18:37:10 »
Quote from: "landyloony"
as Pux said go for 2" lifft but I would say go with decarbon shocks rather than the pro-comp
I know a few people who are either garage mechanics or build custome land rovers for off road and they all say your best of with the decarbons as they last longer and you get a garentee (I think its a 5 years) where as pro-comp seem to onle last a couple of year max(or so I'm told)
 With the ProComp shocks you get a Life Time warrenty, for the time you own the vehicle and keep your recept that is!  :wink:
I have 6 Procomp ES9000's on the Disco, had 4 on my Rangie and 4 on my 90 and only ever had one fail, which Explorer UK replaced.
A mate had two new DeCarbons go soft on him, they were replaced free of charge and were fine after that and the DeCarbons I had on the Disco before the ES9000's were also fine, so it can happen to any of them.  :wink:  

Quote from: "bombx3"
whats a breather kit

A standard Land Rover will have breather hoses/tubes on the front & rear axles, gearbox & transfer box. They allow the these parts of the drivetrain to "breath" if submerged in cold water.
When a nice hot axle is dumped into cold water the air inside will quickly  contract, leaving a small vacuum. The breather is there to allow clean air to replace the vacuum but, if the breather is blocked, then it will tend to replace the air with whatever else is around, normally the muddy water through a weak seal - which is bad for the diffs, gear etc.
The breather kits either replace or lengthen the standard tubes so they can be taken higher up the vehicle, normally up the side of a snorkle, for deep wading.
There, hope that helps.  :D

BigA, make a plan of what you want to do in the future.
There's no point wasting your money on tyres that fit the Disco now, only to find they look too small/narrow once the lift has been fitted!   :wink:

Offline DISCO-CHRIS

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2006, 18:53:47 »
Big A, if it helps save you a few quid i,m selling 4 255/65/16"technic amazons on silver modulars for £250 all balanced and ready to fit.
I,ve also got some breather tube and connectors left over from a kit if of any use?
got some +2" springs kicking about somewhere too.
then all you need is a set of extended shocks and brake lines!!
pro-comp are doing es9000 for a good deal price on a set of four delivered free at the moment. :lol:  :lol:
and i,m only 30mins from mk. :wink:
"DISCO" now gone -  but not forgotten! VITARA toy to play with now!(still a work in progress!!3 yrs on) New toy now. . .V8 Disco! Let the fun begin!!
 Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!
08 KAWASAKI Z-750 FOR SUNNY PLAY DAYS!!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 19:48:35 »
I have found some cheap remoulds on Padocks. What is everyones thoughts? I like the
DAKAR REMOULD TYRE  
80% Off Road, 20% On Road. Similar in pattern to BFG MT K/M inc. sidewall lugs. The best choice for high mileage performance and economy.
205R16 £38.00 plus VAT    
235/70R16 £38.50 plus VAT    
235/85R16 £48.50 plus VAT    

or the

SAHARA REMOULD TYRE  
80% Off Road, 20% On Road. Extreme directional tread pattern. Includes rim protector.
205R16 £38.00 plus VAT    
235/70R16 £38.50 plus VAT    
235/85R16 £48.50 plus VAT    
750R16 £52.50 plus VAT    

It is under their special offer area. I am tempted by the Dakar ones. I have 235/70's on mine at the mo. What do you think?

Offline kwik.kwak

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 21:21:38 »
i am just building myself a disco, with 3 inch lift kit from MM, pro comp shocks, will be buying a wading kit, but am looking for a manifold, i have seen them sumwhere but cant remember where, anybody got any idea,s or seen them anywhere ??  it,s just an aliminium manifold that allows all the breathers in and then 1 out to the snorkel, saves taking them all up the snorkel :)

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 21:57:37 »
Quote from: "kwik.kwak"
i am just building myself a disco, with 3 inch lift kit from MM, pro comp shocks, will be buying a wading kit, but am looking for a manifold, i have seen them sumwhere but cant remember where, anybody got any idea,s or seen them anywhere ??  it,s just an aliminium manifold that allows all the breathers in and then 1 out to the snorkel, saves taking them all up the snorkel :)

You'll be wanting Wizard then, his manifolds are £25 including fittings.  :wink:

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 22:20:35 »
wont the tyres from your 90 fit the disco? If they would cant you pop down to your loacal tyre place and aks them to swap all the tyres from the disco to the 90 and vice versa? Surely that would be the cheapest option?

dont tempt me...... no i think the 90's would just be too big, 265\75\16's (i ThinK) but would look mean  :lol:

Brought one today, before prices go back up, plus diff guards they have on special, and a steering guard (will have some protection underneath at least)
1978 Series III 88"

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2006, 22:25:29 »
i,ve got 265,s on my disco with a 1" lift on  :D
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 22:32:47 »
Quote from: "beast5680"

noooooo....... dont tempt me......... if i take them of my 90, it will probably half the price?????  :lol:
1978 Series III 88"

PUX

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 00:29:03 »
Quote from: "beast5680"

noooooo....... dont tempt me......... if i take them of my 90, it will probably half the price?????  :lol:
ha ha i have 265s on me disco 2" lift on me disco they look nice :twisted:  :wink:

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2006, 07:10:21 »
OK you have got me thinking now  :twisted: but......

if i fit 265\75\16' s to the Disco, wont this cause other problems, i am sure i had read threads about larger tyres rubbing when cornering, catching arches etc? I know i will need the lift, and that some adjustment will be required to the rear arches? but these are tight enough on the 90?
1978 Series III 88"

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 11:25:59 »
Also Paddocks have a special offer on jate rings too. TWO galvanised rings for £15+vat

I had to buy 2 sets. You cant have enough towing points!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal