AuthorTopic: Why does changing 4 wheels have to be a hassle?  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
  • Referrals: 0
Why does changing 4 wheels have to be a hassle?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 12:46:40 »
Paddocks sell the end caps for around £16
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 14:13:16 »
right thats finalised it. I'm off to cut bumpers.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 17:32:36 »
cut the bumpers. looks pretty good. I am happy with it. Only a few little niggles though. the front wheel didnt catch until I screwed the cap on properly. I will find that tree tomorrow!

Second thing is the sodding bump stops. I have undone the bolt I think it is. A 17mm bolt that petrudes out the back of the swivel housing?

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=44205442&fit=1

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=44205474&fit=1

they are 2 photos of the front wheel assembly with 2 arrows pointing to the bolts I think are the bump stops. It may not work the links but I tried[/url]

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2006, 17:51:03 »
thats the lockstops,the 1 on the LH hub seys the RH limits & vise versa  :wink:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 17:53:44 »
thats what i thought but it doesnt seem to affect the steering lock at all. the tyres still catch big time o that big bit of metal

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 19:19:24 »
Are you adjusting the opposite side.
As Mikee says. The LH one affects the RH wheel. You need to wind them out after undoing the locking nut on the back.
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2006, 19:54:06 »
its the near side wheel that is catching the worst and I have been undoing the off side wheel. I am not sure where the locking nut is. All I can see is a bit of metal with like a welded on nut and the metal seems to hold something vital for the brakes!

I know I am usless at mechanics and have been told it as well but I still like to give it a go.

Found out a few days ago that the series 3 i had and sold the brakes went completly on the new owner the other day and nearly had an accident. thats a description of how bad I am. The chap who bought seemed ok about it and he is a nice guy. We have kept in touch.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2006, 20:32:27 »
Quote from: "muddyjames"
its the near side wheel that is catching the worst and I have been undoing the off side wheel. I am not sure where the locking nut is. All I can see is a bit of metal with like a welded on nut and the metal seems to hold something vital for the brakes!

I know I am usless at mechanics and have been told it as well but I still like to give it a go.

Found out a few days ago that the series 3 i had and sold the brakes went completly on the new owner the other day and nearly had an accident. thats a description of how bad I am. The chap who bought seemed ok about it and he is a nice guy. We have kept in touch.

i no u like to have a go but if your that bad why keep going????
Mike

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2006, 20:38:01 »
If I dont have a go then I wont learn anything and I will be in big debt with a garage! I enjoy doing it as well. I should really do some night school classes in mechanics. It would probably help. I have people who help me that know loads about cars and I hope some of it rubs off on me. A little of it has an Mud club has helped me big time in the past on how to do things. This is my main source of info. Everyone is so kind an helpful.

Also when I do, do a job all by myself I get such self satisfaction out of it and especially when it is up to a high enough standard to pass an MOT. I get a buzz out of that.

Im rubbish but I give it go if nothing else. If I dont give it a go I will never learn!

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 20:44:16 »
i didnt mean that last msg to be nasty or anythin like that its just ive seen the outcome of people 'having a go'  & most o the time it costs more to put right than doing the job in the first place,im not trying to bring you down or anything like that but id consider a basics mechanics course  :wink: especially cos u will prob get a certificate at the end of it aswell as some knowledge  :wink:
Mike

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2006, 20:45:48 »
The bolt you need is in the faint red circle.
On the front of the swivel housing.
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2006, 01:13:57 »
Quote from: "RedlineMike"

i no u like to have a go but if your that bad why keep going????

It's all an excuse for me to buy new tools.. you see james reads the manual, can't find it, then asks me a million questions then gives up then comes and sees me.. I of course have to get my biggest or most expensive tool out - or buy a new one - then do the job in about 2 minutes, everyones happy and I have an excuse..

Talking of which James, when do you want your snorkle doing, I'm sure I have to buy an air saw for that - the nibbler/ angle grinder/jigsaw just wont do  :D

I'll hopefully have my new head sorted for my engine by the end of the week so I'll be a bit busy rebuilding it over the next few weeks :-)

Matthew

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2006, 11:44:18 »
I was going to suggest this weekend but obviously not if your rebuilding your head.

Could I borrow your hex sockets to undo my side steps please as my socket slipped off the other day straight into my face and hurt!

I am glad I can be of use to some one if it gives you an excuse to buy new tools!!!!

I have a land rover manual on cd now so I can look in the warm for what I want and then give up and come to you!

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2006, 12:02:30 »
James .... there is a possibility your bushes are worn on the radius arms. Check these too....
--
Neil

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2006, 14:01:18 »

Could I borrow your hex sockets to undo my side steps please as my socket slipped off the other day straight into my face and hurt!

Yup, no problem, which size(s) do you want, and do you want a 2 foot bar as well, or just perhaps an angle grinder?

I have a land rover manual on cd now so I can look in the warm for what I want and then give up and come to you!

any reason you can't read the haines manual indoors?  I always like the paper ones as they are more tollerant to water splashes whilst reading in the bath compared to the laptop!

I was going to say, don't cut your end caps down and have my pre-cut ones which are living behind the shed - too late now though!

Matthew

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2006, 14:46:18 »
I have an angle grinder. that was an item that wasnt stolen when our shed got broken into last year. shame my long extension lead and my drill that had never been opend got nicked!

I need them to come off in 1 piece as some one off here is picking them up on monday and paid £20 for them. As your selling bits of your disco I thought I would do the same!!!

Damn about the end caps but never mind. Will try and work out how to put a pic on here and not a link. lets see if that works

[/img]http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=44520702&fit=1

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2006, 14:47:23 »
didnt work. oh well. useless with pc's as well as cars!!!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2006, 14:50:48 »
It is all sorted now. None of the wheels catch the bumper, the arches dont need trimming, the turning circle can be reduced a little as well.

The answer was staring me in the face all along. Put the road tyres back on!!! So I have. So all I have gained out of putting the grizzley claws on is less of a bumper, know that if I put the claws back on I have to cut the rear wheel arches, I cant tow with them and they make a hell of a noise whilst driving.

So now the road tyres are back on does anyone want to buy some grizzley claws on range rover alloys?

I shall be saving up and buying some bfg all terains. All terain, all occasions and no body pannel trimming I hope.

Offline Tyke

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2006, 15:19:40 »
anyone want to buy some grizzley claws on range rover alloys?

How much - prefer just tyres though, got too many wheels already.
----------------------------------

KEEPING IT REAL - KEEPING IT BRITISH

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2006, 16:16:09 »
well the claws arent brand new but have alot of tread on them still. there are a few cuts but not anything that is dangerous. the cuts are mainly in the nobbly bits. Matt_h sold them to me via ebay and I have done 5 miles on them and I cant believe he would sell me dodgy tyres.

I paid £180 for the 4 tyres pluss the alloy rims. make me an offer.

Offline Tyke

Attack Member
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2006, 16:27:33 »
pm 4 u mate
----------------------------------

KEEPING IT REAL - KEEPING IT BRITISH

defenderdan

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2006, 21:24:26 »
What are your bushes like? Split bushes on your radius arms could cause your axle to sit out of true.

Dan

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2006, 21:31:23 »
I dont know as I am not too sure what I would be looking for and the disco is near Rugby at te moment so no where near me to look either! It comes back on Sunday.

Where would the bushes be andwhat do they look like? anyone be able to take a pic?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal