AuthorTopic: 200tdi charge light probs!!!!!!!!!  (Read 568 times)

Offline Green Machine

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi charge light probs!!!!!!!!!
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:54:08 »
Hi all,
Over the last few days I've had the battery charge light coming on. At tickover revs, it is 'just' alight and gets brighter as the revs build until about 2500 rpm when it starts to flash :?  also when the headlights are on the charge light is on.

Now just before christmas I replaced the battery and fan and alternator belts and have checked them again and the alternator belt seemed a little loose but tightening it has made no difference ](*,)

I have also disconnected the alternator cable and i'm getting 19volts from the altenator with the engine running, so i'm not convinced the alternator is faulty  but i could easily be wrong :-k

Any ideas appreciated.

Gary.
200 Tdi `94

colintandy

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 13:11:26 »
:D hi gary what type alternator is it  is it standard 45 amp you should only have about 13.7-13.8 volts no more to charge ! make sure that all the connectors on the back are nice and clean and well tight also check that the power steering belt is tight also i had same problem few months back and i took alternator of took apart and oil the bearings with 3-in 1 oil dont use wd40 on bearings as its to light oil if dirty give a good clean out and there is a little module which can also be replaced on the back end  :D how good is battery and connections to and from alternator must check all also check the alternator belt is a good quality one that dont stretch to much and cracks . i use the belts that are grooved not the ones with the teeth as they dont sit right in the pulleys then also check you got the right tension on belt to much and you get overcharge and excess wear on alternator bearings to little and it slips and dont charge properly i find go realy tight and just let the new belt pre-stretch first then about 100 miles re-check belt  about 3mm play on belt in the middle section is a good measure ...regards colin

Offline Damonski

Attack Member
  • Cheshire :)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 14:47:43 »
My alternator light was playing silly [!Expletive Deleted!] also recently.  slowing glowing for a few seconds then flashing on and off and then nothing for the rest of the journey.

Since disconnecting the split charge relay from the wire Ive had no problems.
--

Damian

Range Rover Classic 2.4TD  | Disco 300 Mpi | Citroen Xantia Activa
plus other rainy day projects....

Facebook Me

Offline DISCO-CHRIS

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 18:13:53 »
19 VOLTS!!!! I,d hazard a guess that your rectifyer/regulator has thrown in the towel! :cry:
"DISCO" now gone -  but not forgotten! VITARA toy to play with now!(still a work in progress!!3 yrs on) New toy now. . .V8 Disco! Let the fun begin!!
 Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!
08 KAWASAKI Z-750 FOR SUNNY PLAY DAYS!!

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 19:46:03 »
with 19volts you,ll be getting close to cooking the battery i should think
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal