AuthorTopic: SJ410 Engine  (Read 1755 times)

nexiom

SJ410 Engine
« on: April 06, 2004, 10:08:30 »
Hi I need a new engine for my SJ410.
It's smoking and loosing compression.
Couldn't I just replace the engines block and pistons>?

My local garage wants £250 + VAT to fit the engine if I can source one?

I only paid just over £100 on Ebay for the SJ so I dont really want to cought up too much?

Many Thanks

Regards

Offline datalas

• Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
SJ410 Engine
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 10:32:55 »
are you sure you need to go *that* far at all?

It could just be the rings, as silly as it sounds.

If you're feeling courageous etc take the head off and check the pistons for score marks, the pistons themselves should feel tight in the cylinders, if you can waggle them back and forth the rings are shot.  If the cylinders are worn it could be the block as well, but since rings are around a tenner..  I'd start there :)
--

Offline Benji

Attack Member
SJ410 Engine
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 21:50:25 »
We use a 410 for off roading. £250 is a bit steep to fit an engine, especially when you could probably lift it in by hand with a few of you!

I was told about a complete engine that went for just £10 on Ebay recently. If you aren't able to strip the engine down to repair it (like me) then it would probably be best to swop the engine straight over.  It would be handy to hear it running first though!

Our old one used to be a bit smoky, but as i can't do much more than an oil change i couldn't fix it.  Fortunaltley it still ran fine and didn't lose any power.

We have a couple of guys in East Sussex who only work on Zuki's and they are really cheap. Have a hunt around your local area to see if there is anyone that enjoy's messing around with them without charging silly money?

Or maybe try asking your local motor mechanics college. I know years ago they used to like to have different cars to work on for training..............but maybe there are more rules about that nowadays!
(where there's blame....theres a claim!!!)

Even though im not a mechanic it's obvious to see that they are really simple engines, so maybe a trainee mechanic and his mates might be willing to have a go. Could try your local garages and ask any 'young-uns' if they want abit of work on the side?

Just some ideas i would try before giving up on your little SJ.

Good luck

Ben
Ben.

Discovery Td5 ES,
Ifor Williams box trailer (my office),
Yellow labrador with permanant 4 paw drive!
www.messypups.com

Offline robbie

Attack Member
SJ410 Engine
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 00:08:41 »
The engine is indeed a very simple unit and £250 to install another does seem quite alot of dosh. You could probably get another full car for that off ebay :)

These may be able to help

Try Jon on 07767 401461
Good chap  Very Helpful

or

Call Ross on 07734 097399
Nice chap

either of them might be able to help, just say Rob passed the number on. (They might know who you are, soetimes they forget :))
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal