AuthorTopic: Mass Land Rover recall!!  (Read 1036 times)

Offline stefan

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Mass Land Rover recall!!
« on: March 19, 2004, 11:47:32 »
http://www.thelandroverchronicle.com/new_page_431.htm

Land Rover has launched a massive recall campaign to check for brake failures, sticking throttles and potential fire hazards due to fluid leaks.

More than 59,000 Discovery and Defender models built from October 1998 are to be recalled for checks and repairs to their anti-lock braking systems. Land Rover has found that a potential leak in the system could reduce braking efficiency or even lead to complete failure.

A further fault potentially affecting 28,194 Discoverys built between January 2000 and September 2003 could result in fires starting beneath the bonnet. In some circumstances, fluid can leak from the active cornering enhancement system, contaminating the engine oil and causing a fire.

The third recall involves 133 Discoverys built between January and March 2003. Land Rover wants to check that their throttles do not stick open once the accelerator pedal has been released.

Owners of cars affected by the potential faults are now being contacted by Land Rover with the offer of free checks and remedial work.

The manufacturer assures customers that the risk of failure is small and that there have been no recorded accidents or injuries as a result of the potential failures.

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Re: Mass Land Rover recall!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 15:04:20 »
My in-laws have just contacted our local dealer who said, all their customers keep ringing up about the recall but they have had no direct instructions from Land Rover, so they are doing nothing at the moment  :roll:

Made me laugh... :D
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
Mass Land Rover recall!!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 15:17:53 »
Typical, Land Rover through and through. Love 'em

Ollie
sex is the breakfast of champions

Offline Dangermouse

Attack Member
Mass Land Rover recall!!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 15:39:09 »
good job Ford are in charge no more quality probs for Landrover

are well humm

ok

DM  :shock:
Cheer's.......DM
If it's shiney something must have fell off

Landrover 90 with a 2.5 dead engine

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Mass Land Rover recall!!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 15:47:30 »
There always seems to be a stigma attached to a vehicle recall, and I can never understand why.

The release says that there haven't been any serious failures of the system, and that the recall is to check for potential faults.

Unless I am mistaken, most of the affected vehicles are before Ford took over.    I for one applaud any vehicle company who has the honesty and responsibility to issue a recall of this size to ensure the safety of it's customers.

Don't want to seem overly-defensive of the old green-oval, and I'm not having a dig at anyone,  but it always bothers me when companies are apparently criticised for doing what is right.

<climbs down off his soapbox>
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Mass Land Rover recall!!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 10:32:46 »
Tim

I quite agree, safety should not be compromised.

However, I feel for the dealerships who seem to be in the dark about the recall. Through no fault of their own (manufacturing faults) they are the first point of call for Joe Public, and he's usually in a strop. :?

How can a global company make such a public statement without consulting the dealships?

"don't panic Captain Mannering"...yeh right !!

Sorry, IT STINKS  :evil:
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal