Vehicle & Technical > Discovery

Fuel pump optimisation by Van Aaken

(1/2) > >>

Andy.:
OK then, its been touched on somewhat in another thread but I thought I'd start a fresh topic so all info can be put in here.

So the benefits?

Cost?

DIY job or garage?

Darren:
Benefits: Approximately 135bhp and 250 ft.lb of torque.
Less effort (i.e. fuel) forthe same performance, or more performance  :lol:

Cost: £385.00 in January 2002.

DIY or garage: It's a service offered by Van Aaken carried out in their own workshop. As I understand it, it involves adjusting and recalibrating the high pressure fuel pump and on some engines (although not the 300tdi) the turbo. It takes best part of a day and they are located in Crowthorne in Berkshire. I'm fortunate in that they are about 3 miles from my house :o

The difference was immediately noticeable and I'm very pleased with the result.

Andy.:
Ouch £385.00 quid hmm..... best start saving then :wink:

Darren:
Yeah, I know. It's about the same (if not more) for a bigger intercooler but the Van Aaken approach is an "invisible" modification. Plus, it doesn't have the potential to interfere with the normal engine cooling, which was a big consideration at the time as I was just about to head off to the Sahara :!:

madtam:
Although it might not interfere with the engine cooling, I would have thought it would have increased the engine heating. I don't know how much but I am sure the exhaust gas temperature increases when you increase the fueling. An extra that I have seen recomended is to add an EGR temperature sensor to monitor this. I think it only becomes a problem if the engine is held at full power for some time, such as a long hill climb with a trailer etc.
There are instructions out there on how to carry out similar "improvemets" on a DIY basis. Increasing the size of the intercooler at the same time will help because this takes the internal charge temperature down so helping to cool things in general.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version