AuthorTopic: 200TDi and vibrations  (Read 1319 times)

Offline strangerover

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200TDi and vibrations
« on: September 27, 2005, 23:01:27 »
I have read all over the place that if you lift a disco 2" and fit bigger tyres you get all sorts of problems with vibrations etc..

I have a scorpion kit and have no problems with vibrations either on or off road and all seems to work...

My concern is I have not noticed it and i do have a problem that I'm not picking up on.... hope that makes sense.....

ALso I run 235/85/16 and the only part of the tyres that touch anything is the rear at the back on the bottom of the rear quater, and thats using standard bump stops of which I have lost the drivers side....

am I just lucky ? (no sorry I'm not trying to be smug) or am I missing something and should I be looking for anything ?

thanks
Regards
Mark O
Mitsubishi L400 Delica
Iron Man Lift and running 31" tyres

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
200TDi and vibrations
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 08:51:13 »
The vibration problems normally start when you've corrected the caster angle on the front axle. When you lift the suspension then this puts the caster angle out and makes the steering lighter and it will tend to "tram line" on the road.
The caster correction radius arms bring the steering back to normal but increase the angle of the front propshaft to the transfer box. This increased angle sets up a vibration.

I've had a 2" lift on an old Rangie with no problems running 31x10.5R15 tyres. On the Disco I have now, the 2" lift was okay but when I put a 3" lift & 33x12.5R15 tyres on it then the caster angle needed correcting and the tyres reduced the gearing so much that I ended up putting a 1.41 ratio transfer box in so I could do over 60mph and maintain speed up hill.

If you're happy with the setup you have and you've not got any problems then stick with that. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.  :wink:

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
200TDi and vibrations
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 20:50:48 »
well put above by budgie

if you are happy with your setup and your steering

do nothing

if you correct your steering geometry with castor corrected radius arms

you will immediatly have to change your front prop to a double carden type(td5)

and buy a transfer box output flange to mate with the new prop

although i have heard (but not confirmed) that the castor corrected radius arm bushes that are available will correct your steering without the propshaft problem.

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
200TDi and vibrations
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 20:54:52 »
Quote from: "chuggaman"
although i have heard (but not confirmed) that the castor corrected radius arm bushes that are available will correct your steering without the propshaft problem.

yep... Devon 4x4 sell them for sure.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
200TDi and vibrations
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 20:57:30 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Quote from: "chuggaman"

yep... Devon 4x4 sell them for sure.

do they work???

presumably up to a 2 inch lift

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
200TDi and vibrations
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 22:11:22 »
They do work pretty well... The only thing I found is that they do have an effect on the available articulation from the front axle... due to being offset, the bushes don't compress as much in one direction and that can limit things across the axle
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline strangerover

Attack Member
200TDi and vibrations
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 22:51:27 »
thanks for that,
I'm happy with how it is as its a toy car for me.... normal drive is a company car... and if the 2" lift gives lighter steering i do not want it any heavier !
Regards
Mark O
Mitsubishi L400 Delica
Iron Man Lift and running 31" tyres

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal