AuthorTopic: half roof rack light bar  (Read 3807 times)

PUX

half roof rack light bar
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2005, 17:47:49 »
i will get the pics up on the site when i get home at the weekend as my work pc does not allow to do much on it lol :twisted: and i would agree wit redline and budgie there top notch at night makes my life easier driving the country lanes home after work.. with so many deer around my part it gives u more chance to spot them.

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
half roof rack light bar
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2005, 01:41:44 »
Quote from: "jim-willy"
I'd always thought they were illegal on the road (they should be).  Why would you want sevety five lamps to light up the road, are you blind, even in the dales my 90 standard lights are fine for seeing where i'm going, the only possible use i can see is when night offroading (summat i daredn't do) to bathe the terrain in light!?!?

It IS an offence to have more than 6 lamps on at any time but the reason for having them above your head is that they cast no shadow that can be seen from the driving seat, they fill bomb-hloes with light that low-level lamps can't.  That's why my driving lamps are so high up.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Gary

Attack Member
half roof rack light bar
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2005, 03:09:46 »
Hi

Another reason for having them up high and on seperate switches from dipped and main beam is so you could wade accross water illuminated from the above floods with your standard lights off. This will reduce the chance of cracking the vehicle headlights glass which doesn't take kindly to sudden temperature change when wading very cold water.

Technically/legally speaking, the Over-Head spot/flood/work lights should be seperately switched from the OE lighting of the vehicle with an in-cab warning illumination lamp to remind you they are on & more importantly to remind you to turn them off when re-entering a Public Highway

Just out of interest....................
In some States of America it is actually an offense to Drive on the Public Highways without Blanking covers fitted on Overhead work/flood lights.

They are not to be used on Public Roads, it's illegal. Technically/legally speaking that would also include Byways etc, although I think you would be unlucky to be persecuted for use in that situation if you use with common sense.
If you use them for night time laning which I have and can highly recommend, as the atmosphere completely changes, common sense will of course be required. IE, If laning at night, travel slower, turn main/aux lights off with just the side lights on to on-coming traffic whether that be pedestrian, horse or another on coming vehicle. When approaching entrances to lanes, byways etc where it is not uncommon to have residental housing etc keep light pollution to a minimum to show curtiousy. Once your on the lane then you may, at your descretion wish to illuminate extra. Avoid exiting the lane/byway etc onto a public highway with all lights blazing possibly resulting in, at least a disgruntled car driver, or worse an accident.
Also bear in mind that a lot of animals come out at night and if they haven't scampered away with the noise of your vehicle, they maybe startled by your lights and freeze on the spot. Lower your lighting to a minimum and wait for them to move while enjoying nature with respect.

As far as Lorries are concerned in the UK and from what I can work out without making a specific enquiry, it appears that they use Overhead Lights that can be used as Additional flood/spot lighting but again not on Public Highways. Truck lights that appear similar to the Off Road additional lighting we're talking about also/usually incorporate an additional 5w side light which they may choose to illuminate on a public Highway.

I may stand to be corrected but that's my take on it.

Hope this help a little.

Kind Regards to all as always

gary  :)
W 90 MUD

Expedition Defender 90, Td5

is one of my obsessions................

Oh, & my Basecamp/workshop is another......

Offline GaryP

Attack Member
half roof rack light bar
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 20:45:53 »
Hmmm... bit of a grey area this... the big 8" Hellas fitted to loads of HGV's these days are wired up as 'running' or marker lights using side light bulbs only. Any spot/fog/working lights mounted above the legal height should be rendered inoperative when the side/main lights are in use. Anybody remember the Matra/Talbot Rancho in the '80's?  they had working lights mounted on the scuttle panel next to the wing mirrors but they were wired so that they could not be used in conjunction with the vehicle lights.
'02 Discovery ES V8
on LPG

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
half roof rack light bar
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2005, 02:11:45 »
I remeber the Rancho, thig is with those lights they were movable whilst the vehicle was being driven so they could be aimed directly at other drivers, unlike fixed driving lights.
I read somewhere (Hella I think) that the marker lights found in continental driving lamps (trucks) are only legal in Germany.  SO much for one Europe.  Obviously with comercials extra marker lights are obligatory but they may not be legal on cars.

As for work lights on lanes, well if you're going slowly who's to say you aren't "working" rather than driving, too much trouoble to prove that one I think.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Gary

Attack Member
half roof rack light bar
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2005, 03:09:35 »
Hi Range Rover Blues

Quote from:

As for work lights on lanes, well if you're going slowly who's to say you aren't "working" rather than driving, too much trouoble to prove that one I think.[/quote

Yes mate, your probably right but a little common sense goes a long way.

I wasn't trying to teach anyone suck eggs, just thought i would make it clear for anyone who wasn't quite sure, hope you don't mind.

Kindest Regards to you RRB

gary
W 90 MUD

Expedition Defender 90, Td5

is one of my obsessions................

Oh, & my Basecamp/workshop is another......

PUX

half roof rack light bar
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005, 12:57:28 »
Well finally got round to takin some pics of the light bar also have respryed the wheels and rock sliders and added some mud-club stickers just need to spry the winch bumper 8)

regards Pux

Offline barny

Attack Member
half roof rack light bar
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 18:43:24 »
Just found this thread and their add in LRM, but cant get the webpages to wrok. Anyone know if theyre still trading ? Or a new webpage i can look at ?  :oops:

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
half roof rack light bar
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2007, 02:20:26 »
whats wrong with a roofrack rai, bit of angle iron, wiring kit (with switches) ??

Jim-Willy - Maybe some of us are scared of the dark?! that make you feel better? eh? ya bully!  :twisted:  :lol:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal