AuthorTopic: mud tyres  (Read 2245 times)

colintandy

mud tyres
« on: September 14, 2005, 20:02:08 »
has anybody or is anyone using the mudterrain tyre that ensa are making they have the same patten as the bfg muds just seen them advertised at paddocks today they are a remould with a michelene cassing just wondering wether there worth a look or cos there remoulds for offroading is it a case of stay away my gut feeling is to purchasse a set of bfg muds but came across theses there called dakar i belive oppinions would be welcome about using re moulds for offroading

Offline chuggaman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
mud tyres
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 20:24:56 »
i dont see a problem with using remoulds for offroading

indeed i have used colway tyres on a number of occasions

but seeing as i spend most of the time in my disco on the road

i prefer new tyres

remember remoulds sometimes have speed ratings

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 21:07:36 »
I agree with chugga, buy the bfg's if it wont cripple you. Nene valley are good guys
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 21:18:05 »
Quote from: "chuggaman"

remember remoulds sometimes have speed ratings

As do new tyres. This can create an issue with Discos - but especially if you've a V8 - you'd be amazed how many MT patterns aren't rated for the higher speeds.

You'd also be amazed at how many folk aren't bothered. Particularly those folk selling the tyres!

cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline karloss

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 00:29:35 »
Quote from: "Eeyore"
You'd also be amazed at how many folk aren't bothered.

You know, that's a point we often miss on here when we are all harping on about which tyres to use and not use. Good point well made. =D>
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 09:19:21 »
Karloss,

Some information which may be useful :

http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=11577
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
mud tyres
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 13:06:21 »

You'd also be amazed at how many folk aren't bothered. Particularly those folk selling the tyres!

cheers
 8)
Eeyore

Surely they would then share the responsibility in the event of a "problem"? After all they fitted the tyres to the car, and the rating is a form of code, it does not say "don't exceed X miles an hour" on the sidewall does it? maybe it should.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 13:17:39 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Surely they would then share the responsibility in the event of a "problem"? After all they fitted the tyres to the car, and the rating is a form of code, it does not say "don't exceed X miles an hour" on the sidewall does it? maybe it should.

If they are supplying and fitting the tyres to a vehicle which has driven to them and is clearly going to drive away again, then I would agree.. they should be (at an absolute minimum) be advising the customer that the fitment of the tyres in question will likely invalidate their insurance.   Stuff supplied mail order is a different kettle of fish of course.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 13:51:07 »
It does sound like some of us keep banging on about speed ratings but at the end of the day if your vehicle is involved in a serious RTA and checked by a vehicle examiner you'l be in the brown smelly stuff with them. As soon as an insurance assessor spots them you'll find yourself in trouble with possibly no insurance other than the third party insurance (if you're lucky).

Technicaly your insurance should be advised of any tyre changes.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline karloss

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 20:39:45 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Karloss,

Some information which may be useful :

http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=11577

Yes, seen that before Tim, all very valid. Thing is, how many times have you been to a gathering of off road types and witnessed vehicles with totally unsuitable tyres? Answer is lot's I would imagine. Eeyore's point which I was aplauding is that there are lots of people out there (both selling and buying) that just don't care what tyres they are fitting. So long as it's bigger/wider/more aggresive than Joe Bloggs' down the road. You know where I'm coming from :wink: . Speed and loading ratings (and "E" marks) are a secondary factor in lots of peoples tyre choosing strategy. They shouldn't be, they really shouldn't be, but.....

Personally I'm quite choosy depending on what they are going on. As I've said somewhere else recently I'd prefere (for example) a remoulded tyre from a source I personally trust i.e. Colway than a new tyre from Yang nang kicky koo tyre company. "E" mark/ratings etc wouldn't even factor into it!
I used to work part time in a tyre house and believe me, I've seen some fairly horrendous sights when it comes to tyres. :shock:
Also, AFAIK tyre sellers have no responsibility to inform you of a tyres suitability for your vehicle. Obviously any reputable one will give you the info if you ask. But legally I'm pretty sure it's down to the driver of the vehicle. Which is obviously not quite right in the scheme of things.
Anyone still reading at this point? Talk about harping on! :oops:
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 22:33:14 »
Quote from: "karloss"

Anyone still reading at this point? Talk about harping on! :oops:

Oh yes, still reading, dude. :wink:

The point I was making was that rules and regs exist but like so many things people think that tyres aren't really that important. Check out some of the number plates on the road, these days. :roll:

No offence meant! And hopefully none taken.

cheers
 8)
Eeyore

colintandy

tyres
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 22:35:18 »
ok guys thanks for all the imput just made my mind up looks like a good new set of bfg for offroading does any one no out of intrest what the safe speed rating is on theses bfg mud terrains are or does it depend on tyre size  regards colin

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 22:36:34 »
My BFG MTs are 'Q' rated... so plenty good enough for a Tdi Discovery
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Dave

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
mud tyres
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 06:47:35 »
My bfg muds are fine, speed rated to i think 100mph thats plenty as the road is only rated to 70mph or you will have bill chasing you. :wink:
DAVE
MUD-CLUB MEMBER 333

Disco TDI 1998
 Disco TDI 1993    K333 MUD
 Disco TDI 1994
 90  N/A soon to be TDI 1993
 Series 3 1971
 R33 Skyline GTS-T

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 07:57:56 »
Quote from: "Dave"
My bfg muds are fine, speed rated to i think 100mph thats plenty as the road is only rated to 70mph or you will have bill chasing you. :wink:

As daft as it seems, it doesn't work like that.  If your vehicle has a maximum designed speed of 98 MPH then you can only fit a Q-rated (or above) tyre....  Which is why a lot of Range Rovers  and V8 Discoveries technically have the wrong tyres and no insurance.   :shock:
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 09:02:20 »
I've added a few bits of information as an article, just so it doesn't get lost :

http://members.mud-club.com/library/?articleid=22
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Tony F

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 14:37:42 »
All good stuff and I was quite aware that my BFG MT's are Q rated (100mph) but to be honest I have no idea what the rated top speed of my Disco is? (3.9 V8i Auto) from previous comments, am I to believe the old lump can top the ton? I once took it to 90 and that was plenty fast enough thank you (I must get new springs and shocks)!

However before fitting them, I wrote to my insurers (rather than rely on a phone conversation) telling them the size and type of tyre I was intending to fit, what wheels they would be fitted to (I was changing these too) and of course, they know what vehicle I have. They had no problem with my final choice of 245/75R16 MT's on steel modulars.
Tony Ferrari

GLASS Press Officer & Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire Rep.

2007 Land Rover 90

www.hertfordshire4x4response.net
www.madcowracing.org.uk

Offline Dave

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 16:24:55 »
Tim if i had an accidents at say 30 mph in a disco and had some tyre that were rated less to the car. The insurance could and most likely would not pay out.
 How would that work with a sankey trailer. Is the trailer graded by the car pulling it
DAVE
MUD-CLUB MEMBER 333

Disco TDI 1998
 Disco TDI 1994
 Series 3 1971
 R33 Skyline GTS-T

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 18:37:41 »
That's an interestign question Dave...

I'll have a dig around and see if I can find out.   A Sankey might be a bad example though, since a lot of them aren't legal to be towed by a civvy vehicle... some of them fall foul of not having auto-reversing brakes, and the like.  Thankfully, things are a bit fuzzy in terms of identifying when a Sankey was built and most police officers don't know the ins and outs ;-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 18:45:56 »
Just thinking about it....  the maximum speed for a trailer is 60mph...  so I would guess that a tyre needs to have the correct speed rating for this.  To tow a trailer faster is breaking the law anyway ;-)

One of the main issues with trailer tyres can be load ratings.  The tyres should have a suitable load rating to match the trailer / axle weights.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline karloss

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 21:04:37 »
No offence meant! And hopefully none taken.

Hell noooo. 8)

Quite the opposite.
 It's like anything else, nobody minds bending/ignoring the rules and reg's till it all goes Pete Tong.
The worrying thing is that people are often more bothered about getting fined for things than they are about their (and every one elses) safety. Amazing really. :shock:
Cheers, Karl..

1990 90 TD

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 21:13:13 »
Quote from: "karloss"

The worrying thing is that people are often more bothered about getting fined for things than they are about their (and every one elses) safety. Amazing really. :shock:

Amen bro, amen!  :wink:

cheers
 8)
Eeyore

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 23:21:41 »
does anyone know what the recommended speed rating for the 3.5 efi disco is?? Cant seem to find it . I need to rethink as i would hate to fall foul of the law.

As if, I stick well below the speed limits and the speed rating is to do with continuous high speed running not meandering round sub 70 in my disco.( I rarely break 55 to be honest)
 Yes guys safety is something I choose not to ignore I care a great deal about all other road users but I am far safer than 99% of people out there.Although certain people show stats that say speed is not a factor in accidents I think we all know it is.

I really would like to know the recommended speed though. By the way fitting different tyres is not considered a modification by Adrian flux or firebond. Thats would be saying if you changed from pirelli to michelin you should declare it as a mod because the manufacturer didnt fit is when new.
Lastly, and I am not trying to make light of what I think is a serious subject, when i was smashed up by a kind nova driver and left for dead on the road. The insurance inspector came to see my bike 3 days later he wouldnt have known the difference between my poorly GSXR 1100 and my push bike. He didnt have a clue, im not saying they are all like that but my insurance company gave me 4k without much of a fight.
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline Dave

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 13:26:38 »
Thanks Tim never thought of that, 60 is the limit for a trailer but isn't that the same as 70 is the limit for the road. The car pulling it has to be rated at it top speed, so why not the trailer being towed.

I think we have opened a can of worms here :wink:
DAVE
MUD-CLUB MEMBER 333

Disco TDI 1998
 Disco TDI 1994
 Series 3 1971
 R33 Skyline GTS-T

Offline Dave

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 13:33:17 »
I have just swopped the tyres on my trailer for some hankook rated T 119mph this should do it carn't see the disco getting up there. :wink:
DAVE
MUD-CLUB MEMBER 333

Disco TDI 1998
 Disco TDI 1994
 Series 3 1971
 R33 Skyline GTS-T

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 16:04:28 »
unless you are planning being dropped by parachute??!
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 19:35:24 »
Quote from: "Dave"
Thanks Tim never thought of that, 60 is the limit for a trailer but isn't that the same as 70 is the limit for the road.

Not quite...  as I understand it,  the trailer has a maximum designed speed of 60 mph, in the same way that the vehicle has a maximum designed speed of (for example) 98mph... so the rating system is the same.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Dave

Attack Member
mud tyres
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2005, 21:30:21 »
Got you so as long as the tyres on the trailer are raited J or higher there ok. Do you know the tyre load rating on the 3/4 ton sankey by any chance. The tyres i have on are off a series so should be ok but just wonderd.
DAVE
MUD-CLUB MEMBER 333

Disco TDI 1998
 Disco TDI 1994
 Series 3 1971
 R33 Skyline GTS-T

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal