AuthorTopic: Welding rear diff  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Mule

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Welding rear diff
« on: August 29, 2005, 10:40:19 »
Has anyone done this, if so how? Which bits do you have to weld together, and how much? I have never seeen the inside of a diff, so will be working in the dark as it were!
Will welding make the diff weaker, and is it worth the effort?
Cheers for your time,
Mule
P.S. it's a Vitara BTW!!

Zuki's need love too!

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Welding rear diff
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 10:44:43 »
Welding the diff will give some interesting handling due to the rear axle being effectively a solid bar.  You shouldn't ever weld up a diff on a vehicle which will be driving on tarmac because something will break and you might have a bit of trouble going round corners.

I have to admit I don't know if the suzuki diff is the same as a LR one, so I don't know the specifics of which bits are visible on it.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mule

Attack Member
Welding rear diff
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 11:16:56 »
Thx for repling Tim, the vit is only for off road, pay and play sites, so tarmac driving is not an issue! as for handling, it has  approx 4.5" of lift, so it don't go round corners too well on tarmac as it is!!! :shock:  :shock:
I don't have a great deal of articulation so think welding the diff might stop the inevitable cross axle syndrome

Zuki's need love too!

Offline Foden34ke12

Attack Member
Welding rear diff
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 14:06:31 »
Hey Mate,

Its ok but you will find that even in the mud it will try and push in a straight line and will mostlikely end up snapping something! It s not great lol. it might work on scrap heap challenge lol but i ain't to good if you wanna use your truck more than once.

Your best bet is a LSD but they are hard to find. Try the link below for a brand new one. Then you can drive it on teh road anyway.

http://www.puresuzuki.com/limited_slip_diff.htm

Personnally unless you take it real serious i would leave it. I haven't got one on mine (see Profile) and I haven't found a mud hole to stop it yet...

Dave

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/Foden34ke12 (profile)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal