AuthorTopic: Poory LT77 - Options?  (Read 966 times)

Offline xmob

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Poory LT77 - Options?
« on: August 26, 2005, 22:42:48 »
I've had the LT77 clunk on Stig for a long time now.  However, a trip to Blackpool has made me realise it's time to get it sorted.  The gearbox is in a poor state.  There's about 45° of slack at the hand brake drum (checked this when I had the prop off to fit new shoes), and the gate (I think that's what you call it) is duff, making 3rd to 2nd almost impossible, and finding reverse a lottery.  Made for some interesting roundabout and in town driving.   :?

So, what are my options?  I keep seeing LT77s that have come from 90s/110s/Rangies.  Are these suitable?  What about an R380?  Can these be used.

Is repairing an option?  From what I understand, working on gearboxes is a black art.
Clyde 2.0 - Disco 200tdi
Bonnie - Freelander TD4 ES Premium

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Poory LT77 - Options?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 22:47:38 »
working on gearboxes isnt much a black art but getting some 1 to do it is just about as costly as a recon unit with a gurantee!!,an LT77 out a defender wont fit without major surgery to the vehicle ie inside panels etc as the bellhousing is a different length along with the input shaft,oh & the slave cylinder is on different sides,the lt77 out a rangie shouldfit aslong as its out a tdi & not a v8 as the V8 LT77 is a slightly diferent box in regards to input shaft length & bellhousing again
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Poory LT77 - Options?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 22:48:10 »
Easiest (not cheapest) option is probably an Ashcroft box.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Poory LT77 - Options?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 08:26:30 »
Don't forget you are dealing with 2 gearboxes here.. the gearbox and the transfer box.

If is very common to get wear at the point where the output shaft of the gearbox goes into the input gear of the transfer box..  Have a look here for an example : http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=2241

I don't doubt that the LT is getting tired, but you might need to look at a few other things at the same time.

You can fit an R380, but finding one for good money might be the problem.  An Aschroft-rebuilt box will probably last longest, just make sure you change the transfer box input gear at the same time to avoid damaging the new output shaft.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline seph234

Attack Member
Poory LT77 - Options?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 18:28:14 »
i have just put an r380 in my disco replacing the old lt77 i am well pleased no more backlash and reverse is lovely to find  i recomend it :D
200 tdi disco
bf goodrich muds 265/75/16 on mods
2"lift bearmach springs pro comp shocks
1"body lift
rock sliders
diff guards
safari snorkel
steering guard
rear arches cameled
wizard bits steering damper relocation kit
sumo track rod####sold it#

now own lc colorado 2000 x reg 30td  and loving it!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal