AuthorTopic: Fitting disco 200tdi to defender..  (Read 7384 times)

Offline whitewolf

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fitting disco 200tdi to defender..
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2005, 08:19:54 »
Well, my exhaust looks similar, might buy one of those anyway just for neatness ( gulps at price  :shock:  )..
       ...on the plus side..its in, it runs really well, and the power steering box is fitted..wahey :)

Just all the silly bits to do now.

Glad to hear you guys are almost sorted too  :wink:
Damian

We do not stop playing because we have grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2005, 19:02:23 »
ITs finished & MOT'ed,
the first prob ive found is it only does 70 mph flat oput but i think its cos it has a Na tranny box so gonna fit 750's to start with then try n get a higher ratio t box as its reving overly hard to get any where  :evil:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2005, 20:27:48 »
Have a word with Storm dancer if you can catch him on, or where he had his done at a local Garage in Bridlington, Tull will know it.

He had a 300 tdi put in a 90, loves it now
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline stefan

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2005, 21:58:41 »
I've just put the Disco 200 Tdi in the 90, still got the plumbing in to do, but pleased to say that no mod to the bulkhead/footwell was needed and the ready made downpipe from Steve Parkers is a gem, after measuring the exisiting exhaust pipe and cutting, it slieves on to the custom downpipe a treat. The clutch slave cylinder decided to leak after I put it all back together, panic for a moment as I thought the engine would have to come back out, until I saw the dripping fluid!

I've wrapped the manifold, turbo and downpipe in exhaust heat wrap which should help out where it comes closer to body and components. The only mod to the bulkhead was to cut the clutch/brake pipe bracket and space the 2 pipes apart.

The fun bit will be the turbo to intercooler hoses! Any suggestions? I'm sure a 300TDi intercooler to inlet hose will do the job for the top, but not sure about the bottom hoses as the turbo outlet is fairly close to the inner wing and will need quite a sharp bend.

I reused the exisiting fuel lines, removed the in tank petrol pump and replaced with a normal diesel pickup, left the fuel filter in place (minus the actual filter).

Left to do:-

Change oil cooler pipes for longer Defender ones
Change the high pressure pas hose for a Discovery one
Change connectors for the alternator wires
Add the glow plug relay and wiring
Change the cambelt
Plumb in the water works and fit (bodge) radiator assembly
Plumb in the air and turbo hoses

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

Offline landyman Ash

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2005, 10:32:25 »
In terms of the Tdi intercooler pipes the 300tdi disco top hose goes staright in but you'll need the defender 300tdi one for the bottom as it needs to bend round the inner wing.  

When I found one at Billing it was a five min job!  I dont think the pipe is even that expensive new, its the metal meddle bit with the bend that you need
Ashley (but everyone knows me as Ash...)

Roxanne the 88" 300tdi auto Hybrid Trayback thats broken more than its fixed
Rosie the 300 Tdi auto disco that picks the hybrid up when broken...
Daisey the trailer that sits behind Rosie and lies under Roxanne.
The sexy threesome!!!!!!

Offline turtle

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2005, 11:44:09 »
Quote from: "stefan"
The fun bit will be the turbo to intercooler hoses! Any suggestions? I'm sure a 300TDi intercooler to inlet hose will do the job for the top, but not sure about the bottom hoses as the turbo outlet is fairly close to the inner wing and will need quite a sharp bend.

I have a set of old pipes of my 90 (300TDi) since I now had a Allisport intercooler fitted and replaced all the pipes with silcon ones, if there any use send me a PM, and were see if we can sort something out.

Offline landyman Ash

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2005, 12:24:54 »
Quote from: "turtle"

I have a set of old pipes of my 90 (300TDi) since I now had a Allisport intercooler fitted and replaced all the pipes with silcon ones, if there any use send me a PM, and were see if we can sort something out.

How much difference did you find the allisport inter cooler made?  

Worth the investment?
Ashley (but everyone knows me as Ash...)

Roxanne the 88" 300tdi auto Hybrid Trayback thats broken more than its fixed
Rosie the 300 Tdi auto disco that picks the hybrid up when broken...
Daisey the trailer that sits behind Rosie and lies under Roxanne.
The sexy threesome!!!!!!

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2005, 19:21:03 »

I reused the exisiting fuel lines, removed the in tank petrol pump and replaced with a normal diesel pickup, left the fuel filter in place (minus the actual filter).

the intercooler pipes are FUN,i made mine up out of 200tdi landy pipes & bits of exhaust pipe & what ever was lying around,the hardest bit is getting the pipe on the outlet of the turbo to fit as i heated the inner wing up with the oxy bottles & modded with a ball pein hammer so a 200tdi 90degree bend can be used to come forward into the 200tdi bottom pipe(metal) shortened couple of inches into the 200 sillycone hose,then for the top used to 200 hoses & a bit of exhuast pipe to go up n over the air intake
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal