AuthorTopic: Bulk Head  (Read 4887 times)

Offline kizz81

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Bulk Head
« on: May 13, 2008, 16:13:16 »
hello,
it has unfortunatly come to that time of the 90's life where a new bulkhead is needed as the currant one is rusting left right and centre :cry:

what is the normal price for a good condition second hand bulk head?
how long would it take a complete novice such as me to fit?
what about the wires? big issue or not?
how much of the 90 needs to come apart to fit the bulk head,

i need to do the rear waist band strip things is it best to do them both at the same time?

cheers for any advice

kieran
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline MuddyMachine

Attack Member
Re: Bulk Head
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 17:42:12 »
Depends on year of bulk head you fit.

I have a 1985 90 with a 300 bulk head and a disco 200 engine.

They all fit together easy, its just the wiring, you may have some left over.

As for fitting it a case of removing wings, roof, screen and floor.

You should be able to do it with a engine hoist.

You dont need to take the seat box out but it does give you more room.

if you need any more pic's give us a shout :D

Baz
300Tdi Modded 90
H&B Response Call Sign HR039

http://muddymachine.googlepages.com/home

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 17:44:51 »
Changing a bulkhead is quite a job. I had to do mine & replaced it with a new TD5 bulkhead. The new one cost me £200 form the LR Supermarket in Liverpool. Paddocks also do them at a similar price.
Have a look at my post on this thread for details on how to do the job as the TD5 bulkhead needs modification to fit: http://www.mud-club.com/forum/index.php/topic,55219.0.html
If you can get a decent secondhand one with all the dash, wires, steering column, brake & clutch etc still attached, it will make the job easier.
Here's a photo of my motor stripped down:

It's not a job to do on your own as it can be hard work & also very demoralising working alone. Get a mate to give you a hand if possible, in return for a few pints down the local.  ;)
Paul.
GLASS Lancs & Cumbria Rep.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 17:50:26 »
Most new bulkheads retail around £800. Check at you local main dealer to see if LR still have part number AHA710460 at a good price. Last time I checked, they were retailing about £170 + VAT! It's a late Td5 item, so you will need to change a few bits, but worth it at that price.

Edit:
Just looked it up on my last LR price list which was dated April and it was just under £170 + VAT. You will need to check if LR have any left. They only had 6 when I bought mine. Of course, I paid rather less through the trade  :dance:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 17:56:44 by V8MoneyPit »
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 20:20:41 »
thankyou very much for the replies and pictures  :clap:

its a 1987 90, i have found a 1987 bulk head on ebay for £100 with most of dash and wires still attached, i will go and look at it check for rust then maybe buy it, looks a serious job :shock: i had better go and find some mates  :lol:
ill get a mate over to help me out with it, how long do you think it will take?

i finnsih exams on the 18th of june and intend to be at billing on the 17th of july that gives me a month, other wise i have untill september after billing the choices :lol:

i will keep a picture blog when doing it

cheers kieran
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 00:25:37 »
You should be able to do it in a month, especially if you've got one with most of the dash & wires still attached. Pulling all the wires & having to re-feed them back into the new bulkhead was a nightmare. I managed to label all the connectors, but it still took ages to route everything correctly.
Make notes & take photos of where everything goes & how everything connects up whilst dismantling. This will make re-assembly easier.
Just make sure the secondhand one is in good nick & no bodged repairs to the top corners. Before you put the replacement one on, make sure you go mad with a wax injection gun & get plenty of waxoyl in everywhere. You don't want to be having to replace the bulkhead again in a few years.  :lol:
Paul.

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 22:31:45 »
i have found and bid on one with only one bodge repair that i will be able to properly repair  :D hope i win the auction

it has the dash and wires still in place  :D cant wait to get cracking on it now, just need to get exams out the way.

would it be alright if someone who knows how to do it PM's me their phone number so that if i become stuck i can explain the situation to them and work out with them how to go from there

cheers kieran
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 15:09:26 »
Kieran, you have a PM.   ;)
Paul.

Offline Ridgeback

Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 19:29:25 »
I have also been thinking about using a TD5 one.
My dash is a poor shape, the heater parts are not working and much of the wiring is a mess. It was a police car and they added loads of extra wires then just pushed them back into the dash when they sold it.

I was thinking of getting hold of a TD5 version with all the bits still on, Wires,dash,heater etc

Does any one know if this is easy to convert. Will all the TD5 dash instruments work. I have seen the mods posted regarding making it fit but this seems to be using the original parts and fitting them to the new bulk head.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 19:31:36 by Ridgeback »

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 00:09:26 »
Cheers paul!!!

expect a paniked phone call some time after billing  :lol:

if your at billing ill get you a beer or three  :lol:

cheers kieran
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 00:17:31 »
I have also been thinking about using a TD5 one.
My dash is a poor shape, the heater parts are not working and much of the wiring is a mess. It was a police car and they added loads of extra wires then just pushed them back into the dash when they sold it.

I was thinking of getting hold of a TD5 version with all the bits still on, Wires,dash,heater etc

Does any one know if this is easy to convert. Will all the TD5 dash instruments work. I have seen the mods posted regarding making it fit but this seems to be using the original parts and fitting them to the new bulk head.
I think you may have problems connecting the two wiring systems together. TD5 wiring looms are usually connected with 'multi plugs' , but earlier Land Rovers will have different 'multi plugs' & many of the wires are joined with single connectors.
The main wiring loom on a TD5 passes through the passenger footwell, but the main wiring loom on earlier versions passes through the panel directly above the fuse box.

EDIT:
Here's a photo of my TD5 bulkhead being modified for a 200tdi

The red arrows show the wiring loom holes that need modding. The one in the footwell needs blanking off & a new one needs cutting in the middle panel.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 00:23:04 by Defender »
Paul.

Offline Ridgeback

Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 11:36:44 »
Thanks Paul,

I still think I might have a go. I work for a company designing LED lighting and we have some very good IP67 plugs(water proof) I don't mind cutting and making some new wiring. I just didn't know if the parts on the dash and all the instruments needed the TD5 ECU to work.

What's the worst that can happen, they don't work and I have to get a new 200tdi wiring loom and put the old parts in place of the TD5 bits.
From looking at the photo you posted making it fit should be easy,making it work will be fun!

Matt

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 22:45:48 »
we have some very good IP67 plugs(water proof)
Matt
They'll be handy. I had to cut the wiring loom to each of the wings in order to remove them. I re-joined the wires with some waterproof multi plugs & if I ever need to remove the wings again, I can simply unplug them.
Paul.

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 21:23:06 »
i picked up my bulk head today and blimey it was very very very heavy, and it only just fit in the back of the disco

looks like its going to be a fun job swaping the thing  :shock:

cheers kieran
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal