AuthorTopic: lift rings for discovery?  (Read 4175 times)

Offline mikeh1975

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
lift rings for discovery?
« on: December 20, 2006, 20:54:30 »
hi all

do you know anything about suspension lift rings? i found a kit that lifts a range rover disco or 90/110 by 2",has any one used them orknows if they work?

this is what the product says

ALUMINIUM 2 INCH LIFT RING KIT

NO NEED FOR NEW SPRINGS OR SHOCK ABSORBERS

FITS UNDER LOWER SPRING CUP

THE KIT INCLUDES 4 x LIFT RINGS, 8 x BOLTS & DIAGRAMS FOR EASY FITTING

TOP/GALLARY PICTURE THE COMPLETE LIFT KIT

PICTURE 2, DISCOVERY WITH 2 INCH LIFT KIT FITTED

PICTURE 3, REAR LIFT RINGS FITTED

PICTURE 4, FRONT LIFT RINGS FITTED

THESE LIFT RINGS ARE WELL TESTED ON AND OFF ROAD

£140.00 INCLUDES Vat & P&P (UK mainland only)

BUYERS OUTSIDE MAIN LAND ENGLAND, PLEASE REQUEST DELIVERY COST BEFORE BUYING
barwell, leicestershire

When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say?

If  4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
something

Offline bobtail4x4

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 21:10:42 »
yup I have used them they work ok but you dont get the same axle travel as longer springs.

the rear dampers can be stretched.
hello mum

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 21:19:15 »
£140 sounds like a lot I'd rather pay another £100 and get the proper set up tbh.
if you you can make it i can break it.

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 21:38:31 »
Yes, I can get them made too
For a lot less than that  :D

But you got to bear in mind 4" ally is £90+ vat for a metre  :shock:

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline mikeh1975

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 23:01:29 »
have got a brand new set of five 33.12.50.16 and wanted to get them on my disco, seen these and thought they may be easier to put on than a normal lift kit?, unless anybody has one to sell?, just wanted it to sit nice n high, just like bigfoot

mike
:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Quote from: "hairyasswelder"
Yes, I can get them made too
For a lot less than that  :D

But you got to bear in mind 4" ally is £90+ vat for a metre  :shock:

Steve
barwell, leicestershire

If  4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?

something

Offline mikeh1975

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 23:19:33 »
just wanted mine to look like my friends
barwell, leicestershire

something

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 23:29:26 »
The thing is that to fit the spacers it's as much work as fitting a new set of springs & shocks.
£140 for the spacers or Paddocks are doing Heavy duty +2" lift kits for £185.60 + vat. You get 4 correctly rated springs and 4 Procomp ES9000 gas shocks that are made to fit the springs.

The problem is that if you fit the spacers and intend doing any off-roading then, as said above, the standard shocks will be at full stretch before you get near the extention of the springs. So apart from lifting the chassis you will have lost rather than gained. You can get new mounts for the top of the shocks that drops them 2 inches but at £24 + vat for the rears and £52 + vat for the fronts then this works out even more expensive than the suspension kit.  :wink:

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 23:39:25 »
If you're going with 33x12.5x15 tyres then you'll need a bit more than just the lift kit!!
You'll also need to start cutting the wheelarches as well and if you don't want to loose too much of your turning circle then either extra offset wheels or wheel spacers.
The overall gearing of the Disco will be effected by the increased dia of the tyres and you find that going up hills will require 4th or 3rd gear, 30mph will be in 3rd and you won't get into 5th until you're over 45 mph otherwise the engine will labour.  :(

As me how I know!!  :wink:

Oh, and mine has a +3" lift and 33x12.5x15's on it.  :D

Offline mikeh1975

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 08:44:24 »
so should i splash out on a 3"kit then? or will 2" do?,mine is a big v8 so should be ok with the larger tyres on it? i have a set of five wella wheels(like the ones in your picture) to mount them on, dont mind cutting a little as its a three door disco so i dont have to worrie about the rear doors or anything like that

never done a lift b4 allways had series i,ii and 3 so didnt need to mess with things like springs, just parabolics and shackles!,just waned advise so i dont go wrong

thanks
mike
barwell, leicestershire

something

Offline Tyke

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 12:17:03 »
mine is a big v8 so should be ok with the larger tyres on it

Don't be too sure about that . . . . small changes in wheel diameter can have big effects on usable power . . . v8 or not . . . it will still suffer.

Mate of mine put big wheels on his 90 and has since bust his transmission. I bust a diff not long after fitting 32''s and many others will testify how weak LR half shafts can be once the tyre sizes start to increase.

Problem is you have to work the motor so much harder to get the same performance so as well as over stressing the transmission your fuel economy also suffers. . .  which should be fun in a petrol/gas V8.

I've recently got a defender t/box for my Disco and that will be going in before I fit 33"+ tyres . . . . That will help bring the gearing back down. Might even say sod it and go the whole hog with lower ratio diffs and uprated shafts.

As has been suggested, to get it right is not as straightforward as just fitting a simple lift and whacking in the big tyres . . . . as you will probably find out in due course  :lol:
----------------------------------

KEEPING IT REAL - KEEPING IT BRITISH

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 15:05:12 »
I think the first thing to do is measure the O/D of the tyres, then take the radius of that and measure from the centre of the hub on the front & rear axle to the arches, this will show where the tyres are going fit as it sits now.
Then subtract 2 inches from the radius to see where you'll be with the +2" lift. Will the tyres clear the arches on level ground?

Then you have to think about the turning circle, I have standard 90/110 fitment 8Jx15 wheels with 30mm think spacers behind them and this maintains the turning circle but makes the tyres stick out beyond the level of the wings so they needed covering to remain legal. Others have got 10Jx15s or special offset wheels that will do the same job as the spacers that I've used.

Suspension: As you raise the suspension you will effect the geometry(sp) of the steering. The Caster angle of the front axle moves as the axle is pushed away from the chassis. This causes the steering to become lighter, reduced self-centering, more difficult to keep in a straight line on the road and it will tend to follow any lines on the tarmac.
Correcting this means fitting either caster corrected radius arms, offset radius arm bushes or (if you can get them) corrected swivel housings.
If you go along the route of the radius arms or the radius arm bushes then this sorts the problem by rotating the axle back to the normal position but in doing so it changes the angles that the front propshaft works at. It makes the U/J on the diff end nearly straight and transfer box end U/J at nearly it's full extent of its movement. This in turn sets up a nice vibration in the drivetrain and if left can wreck the propshaft and transfer box front input bearing quite quickly.
To sort this one you can fit a Double Cardan front propshaft, mine is a TD5 Disco one with a new input flange for the transfer box but there are others out there.

If you intend doing any off-road with it then extended brake flexies will be needed as well, otherwise you stand a change of snapping the brake lines on full articulation = no brakes!!

Gear ratios:
I've gone the same way Tyke is thinking about. I've fitted a 1.41:1 ratio transfer box from a Defender to bring the overall gearing back to about standard with the 33" tyres fitted.
This will do for the high ratio but the low box will still be slightly over geared but I can live with this. The other option is to go for 4.11:1 ratio diffs in the axles, this brings both high & low box back to around standard but is more expensive unless you strip the diffs yourself and fit the ring & pinion gears.

Most people that have gone for tyres over about 32" have fitted the wheelarch flares. These mean that you can remove about 3 inches off the wings and they give you the cover for the tyres so you can remain legal.
This was how much I cut out of the rear arch on mine before I fitted the flares:  

One last thing to think about is: Do you want to fit anything else to it in the future? I'm talking things like a winch and winch bumper as the weight of these two may compress the suspension by about an inch when fitted if the front springs arn't rated to cope with it. So you need to think about this before getting anything as you don't want to get a full kit now, only to find you need new springs in 6 months cos you fitted a winch.  :wink:

All of this is what I've found out & done to mine. Others have not had vibration problems or found the steering too light but I feel it's best you know all the pros & cons before you start!!  :D

Offline Littledan

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 11:28:30 »
i really like those wheels on that green disco up there they suit the discos really well : D

dan
[size=9]Dan[/size]

Offline GaryP

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 22:32:37 »
lifting the vehicle using 2" spacers without up-grading the springs and shocks will create a handling problem and void your insurance policy.
The vehicles C of G is raised, but with the standard suspension, which could well be past its best, the pitching and swaying (which is bad enough anyway) will be amplified.
If your going to fork out good money, do the job right the first time.

+2" springs and shocks of the correct rating, or the +2" blocks with heavy duty standard length springs and upgraded shocks are the only viable and 'safe' options.  

Cutting corners with something as important as vehicle handling is a definate No-No

Little dan...the wheels on the green Disco are standard steel NATO wolf rims. Take a look at discoweb.org    have a look through the Tech section and you will come across the build of that Disco
'02 Discovery ES V8
on LPG

Offline Littledan

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 01:55:31 »
Quote from: "GaryP"
lif

Little dan...the wheels on the green Disco are standard steel NATO wolf rims. Take a look at discoweb.org    have a look through the Tech section and you will come across the build of that Disco

yeah my mate has them on his and so did jimbob on here :D

dan
[size=9]Dan[/size]

Offline banditman

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 21:24:19 »
www.wizardbilt.com

£75.00 for same kit posted (available as buy it now on that certain auction site I think...)

Ace kit, and not even the cheapest spring and shock kit can get close to that.....

Add in the shock lowering mounts and you still save money...

Bit late to ask santa for some though now eh... :lol:  :lol:
Bobby...... V8 Bobtail Classic RR :-)
Harry......Husqvarna TE450 Enduro

Timmy......955i Triumph Speed Triple - now sold :-( why can't we keep all toys??
Billy...'72 Series 3 V8 but now sold :-(
Rueben.......'98 Bandit 1200 now sold :-(
Hang Over.... '87 Classic EFI Rangie (now on'tuther side ot'ill :-(

Offline 110crewcab

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 21:51:08 »
hi all
       the lift spacer are not what i would do, as mentioned before you will have shocks on full limit before you start to drop axle into small hole etc, if you go for 3 inch you going to need new arms etc or it will drive like bambi on ice.
 as for the big tyres i run a 300tdi 110 on 35x12.50.15 bfg mud with cage and plenty of wait it pulls fine i allso did the pump just a little tweek :o  
o yea and it has disco transfer box and it flies  trust me get some odd looks from car drivers on motor way as it flyes past :P
above all its a rover,
if its not bust you cant mend it,
you bend it we mend it,
110 crewcab hand built from floor up 35s arbs..............   (-;
6X4 FORWARD CONTROL NO BUILD SHEET
90 TDI  COIL FORWARD CONTROL, EBAY
SERIES 11 ONE TONE RECOVERY CRANE (sold)
 MAZDA SL3.5T 100" TRAYBACK SINGLE GIGGLEPIN BOTH WAYS AWSOME!!!!!!!!
TD5 DISCO HOW SENSIBLE AND A CAR([sold)
WORK WHITE VAN O YES
PUG 306 TDI CHEAP AS CHIPS
SERIES 3 6X6 REBUILD REQUIRED

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal