AuthorTopic: 300TDi cam timing  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
300TDi cam timing
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:14:59 »
This might be a long shot, I've been doing a 300TDi fuel pump recenlty and I was surprised to find that there are NO instructions for timing the camshaft other than lining up a mark on the pulley.  It obviously is adjustable but all the manuals say leave well alone.

When I had my Cavalier running the camshaft timing was considered far more important than the FIP, on the Transit you pin both the FIP and camshaft.

I'm a bit concerned that it doen's line up once the belt is tensioned, I think I might have got it a tooth out at one point and it ran pretty badly.

So, does anyone know how to time up the camshaft?

Anyone ever stumbled across the instructions? I could work it out form basic principles (knowing cam lift and duration) but there must be a proper procedure somewhere.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
Re: 300TDi cam timing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 20:31:11 »
You need a 11mm drill bit to pin the pump and also a special sprung pin tool that screws into the bell house drain hole. Once pinned there are 4 bolts on the pump pulley that allow adjustments akin to vernier pulleys on ford twinks . If you need more help pm me your phone and I'll talk you through it as that will be easier than typing it all out.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: 300TDi cam timing
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:38:17 »
Thanks Lambert.  I bought a kit to do it and that had the pins, the crank pin is a sod on an auto too.

Ended up having to do it twice because the first pump I bought was duff.   It's running fine now but I still find it odd that there's no procedure for timing the camshaft, even in RAVE.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal