AuthorTopic: Electrical Problems?  (Read 5027 times)

Offline turtle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Electrical Problems?
« on: January 28, 2004, 10:58:26 »
This morning I came out to the motor which had a slight covering snow and ice.

The first problems was getting into the motor, locks frozen (D-Icier locked inside!) that sorted I'm in.... key in the ignition all the normal dash light’s light-up and the radio bust into song.... turn the key and nothing (Pooh) couldn't even hear the starter clicking.

Battery problem? I remove the passenger seat (I’ve fitted Discovery seats, only way into the battery box is to take the seat out completely) only 4 13mm bolts, into the battery box, all looks normal leads everywhere I disconnect the battery and stick on the charger, all light up saying battery fully charged, not a battery problem? I re-connect the battery and try again still nothing. Then for some strange reason, I have an idea (doesn't happen often) I disconnect the leads to the winch, and try again, the car fires up and runs, all is well.......

So just to be doubly sure I reconnect the wire’s back to the winch and I get nothing, disconnect and the car fires up?

Could this be a electrical fault somewhere, the winch has a cut off switch in line, and is only turn on when the winch is needed. So no power should be going to the winch.

The other thing I noticed, might be connected might not, while driving into work the radio would turn it self off then back on again, did this about 3 times on a 4 mile journey.

Anyone got any ideas?

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Electrical Problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 11:03:52 »
Ah! My Warn did this - it has a remote soleniod which was connected to the ignition circuit. It went south and my engine died - same issue. I threw it away and put in a battery isolater instead.

Sorted.
--
Neil

Offline turtle

Attack Member
Electrical Problems?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 11:23:28 »
Cheers Neil, I investigate that angle. I knew someone would have the answer.

But what about the radio issues, I can't live without Metallica playing at full blast, to have it stop start life not worth living.  :D

Offline turtle

Attack Member
Electrical Problems?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 15:31:03 »
Neil - Just thought I have already got a battery isolator in the form of a cut off switch, power only goes to the winch when the key is inserted.

Unless the switch has become faulty I can't see that this being the problem. I going to get all the connections cleaned up tonight and re-connect.  I let you know what happens.

Might just be a simple thing like Tixover Clay!!! As it seemed to get everywhere else - why not in the battery box as well.

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Electrical Problems?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 01:01:16 »
If the battery has got plenty of charge, but it isn't doing anything then my first guess would be starter solenoid, or starter sticking. A couple of sharp taps with a hammer (or maglite) will sometimes free it up. Have you dunked it into muddy water recently?

Worth checking the engine earth strap as well though.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline turtle

Attack Member
Electrical Problems?
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 09:15:25 »
Quote from: "matthew"
Have you dunked it into muddy water recently?

Dunked in Mud!!! Just a bit Tixover the other weekend, its was well dunked...

All starts fine with the winch cables disconnected, this I find strange, started fine this morning no problems, I was going to clean all connections last night but because of the weather I decide to stay in the warm, I will check the earth straps.

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal