AuthorTopic: SIII FFR  (Read 5444 times)

jaa

SIII FFR
« on: January 27, 2004, 22:51:05 »
I've just become the proud owner of a 74 SIII 109" FFR and i think it's great ,i'm under no illusions of what they are like cos i've driven thousands of miles in em when i used to wear the green suit . I love driving around in it  :D  but SWMBO doesn't  :wink:

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
  • Referrals: 0
SIII FFR
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 22:54:35 »
Don't forget to apply the 'Cam Cream'   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Paul Wright

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
SIII FFR
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 23:17:48 »
I agree, they are a wagon to play with, especially ex-mil my gs is the same, the smell was the same from then inside, it never changes

That ffr still got the radio tray etc fitted?

kev
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

jaa

SIII FFR
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 08:07:45 »
i wish it still did have but u can't have everything , so now i'm on the lookout for radio gear etc . don't know what radios it would have had in , cos when i was in we had clansman and i think this is before then , unless anyone else knows differently

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
SIII FFR
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 10:09:43 »
Yes, they would have been the big Larkspur radios, C42 & C45 were the usual units with the big psu's alongside them with the big multi connector plug cable between them, depending on which corps were using the vehicles, with the big atu's on the wings, there was a table like a bench across behind the bulkhead in the rear.

With the 2 or 4 12v 100Ah batteries fitted in angle iron brackets in the floor, big heavy [!Expletive Deleted!] they were. They were wired up to 24v, and connected to a box at the back which is wired to the massive alternator under the lid.

I'll see if I can find some pics I used to have with this stuff in.

Kev
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

jaa

SIII FFR
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 20:19:28 »
that would be great cos i've now got to try and get together all the radio gear cos the only thing in the back is the 24v junction box .
you should have tried hauling four of those batteries out of a chieftain drivers cab , not funny i can tell you

jaa

SIII FFR
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 17:58:09 »
and here is a pic of the wee beastie , and has anyone got a spare shunt box lying around and the generator to shunt box and shunt box to charging panel cables as mine have been butchered  :(

Offline matthew

Attack Member
SIII FFR
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2004, 17:12:49 »
That looks like a civilian canvas.

Don't suppose you want to swap it for a military one with the little flaps on the sides? :)
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

jaa

SIII FFR
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 17:49:54 »
Hi mathew , i wouldn't mind swapping it has been repaired on top , but it was done properly and it doesn't leak in .
john

Offline matthew

Attack Member
SIII FFR
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004, 20:19:11 »
Quote from: "jaa"
Hi mathew , i wouldn't mind swapping it has been repaired on top , but it was done properly and it doesn't leak in .
john

We'll have to meet up sometime then and compare them. Mines not perfect either but reasonable, I'm sure we could sort something out.

Are you bringing it up to Whitworth in the near future? I could maybe come over and meet you there? Or do you fancy a laning trip NE Mcr as an excuse to meet up? If the latter we could do it as a MUD laning trip.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

jaa

SIII FFR
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2004, 20:23:28 »
i'll be up in wigan next sat visiting my daughter so if then is ok ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal