AuthorTopic: Maverick problems  (Read 2540 times)

MuckingFuddy

Maverick problems
« on: May 29, 2005, 16:15:52 »
I own a Ford Maverick / Nissan Torrano 2.7tdi and have some noise coming from the underside when ever in two wheel drive, its like a very fast clicking that gets faster when you speed up. dipping the clutch makes no difference, it goes away if you put it in 4wd.

Any ideas????

4play

Clicking Noise
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 00:09:42 »
Hiya
   Nissan/maverick same 4x4 differant badge Its much the same as a patrol What your clicking might be in my experance it is the auto/hubs these dry up inside and don`t disingage propley when you go back into 2 wheel drive Take them off and drive it if the clicking stops this is the problem Either clean them and re grease them or do as i would chuck em in a skip and fit manual ones Auto hubs are a real pain That why on GR patrols [i used to have one ] they are manual <-ok you have to get out to put em in !
 If it turns out not to be this let me know there are a few other things that it could be but what i just said would be my choice
Martin

MuckingFuddy

Maverick problems
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:29:43 »
Thanks for that advice, I will take them out at the weekend see what happens. :wink:  will let you know..... if i need them where can i get hold of manual hubs? Im going to sell the maverick once i have it sorted so dont want to spend a fortune...

MuckingFuddy

Maverick problems
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 23:27:37 »
Problem solved :D !!!!! if you remove the Auto hub cover you will find two rings with a spring in between which lock when drive is applied to the front axle..... Well i stripped mine down and made notes on how it came apart, cleaned and repacked with grease. Then for good measure thought I would do the other side.........  :shock: OH MY GOD!!!! :shock:  they were assembled differently and the spring was on the outside of the rings, meaning that the rings could not dis-engage. Bloody :evil:  mechanics are crooks, they have charged me 3 times to sort this problem out and just made things worse......

Just goes to show that a haynes manual and the guts to attempt the job yourself is all it takes :wink:
Thanks for the help 4play

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
  • Referrals: 0
Maverick problems
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 23:39:13 »
:evil:  mechanics are crooks, they have charged me 3 times to sort this problem out and just made things worse......

although kerbsiders are even worse,seen some scary things workin in the trade
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Maverick problems
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 08:40:27 »
Quote from: "MuckingFuddy"
mechanics are crooks, they have charged me 3 times to sort this problem out and just made things worse......

I've said it many times before... one of the big problems these days is that so many of the "mechanics" are actually "fitters"...  they don't understand *how* things work... they are just trained to change them when they don't.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Maverick problems
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 19:53:28 »
thanks tim,thought i was gonna have to battle my side for a mo there,i agree with u bout the fitters n mechanics,they are 2 totaly differnt people,although what is worse is kerbsiders who think they are better than both o the above & then make a c&^t o the job & then still keep dawdling along makin more mistakes,some of which would make even guy110 cringe
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

MuckingFuddy

Maverick problems
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 00:59:25 »
I went to collage for 2 years doing the moter vehicle thing, so I do my best to do most jobs. however on this occasion i decided that i had no clue on how a auto free wheeling hub works, hence sent it to our local garage who said it just needed new rings fitted. When it came back it sounded worse than ever so i sent it back again. they then told me to buy a new hub for £££..... just couldnt afford it at the time and am glad i put it off. Im not sure if they made the mistake when re-assembling or the were just trying to get it back for more works???? i guess i will never know.

I still think that if you have a bit of a brain, most jobs can be done using a manual and taking your time.

4play

To Fit Or To Strip !
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 11:13:10 »
Hiya
   Im glad you got your hubs sorted !! I thought it might be that ! Just thought of a experance When one our members first joined our club he had not done any offroading at the time We had a meet at the "Battle Offroad Course " [ was a great site  :( ] If you have been there [which i`m sure most of you have ! ] if you dont make the car park you dont make the course ! Well i said i would show him how to drive it in 4x4 so i engaged the system and went for it <-got so far in 2 wheel drive ! and then stuck <-and this was just the carpark lol the problem - auto hubs !! We then got pulled out by a lada !! 10 yeares later that said patrol is mine now !!
 On the mechanics,yes i agree its all fitting these days When i first started in the motortrade back in the early 70`s i was told how to re-line brake shoes ! Been a roadside recovery mechanic 90% of jobs i go to are recoverys cause u can`t fix em roadside Its all fault code reading and fitting <-shame thats why i love my patrol its got points-condenser <-easy to fix and thats the great thing about landrovers <-you can fix em !
Right my day off its HOT out there another beer !!
Martin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal