AuthorTopic: Freelander TD4 fuel burning heater  (Read 7366 times)

Wes©

Freelander TD4 fuel burning heater
« on: January 19, 2004, 20:45:34 »
Converted a TD4 pre-heater into a proper fuel burning heater today, with remote control. Was very easy and quick. and doesn´t take long to get nice and warm

Offline Andy.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 22:05:02 »
Hmm..... interesting and you sound pleased with the results  :D
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
TD4 Heater
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 09:09:34 »
Wes, What exactly did you do? I thought you couldn't get this as an add on? Cost?

Cheers.
Ollie.
sex is the breakfast of champions

Offline gordon123

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 20:32:50 »
I have just moded the heater on my TD4 , home made and cost about £30 I used a programmable thermostat from screwfix that I added a resistor to  make it think it was 15deg hotter than it was ! this programs the heater to come on for 15min min at below 5 every AM weekdays as programme timed,   also have a press switch connected to rear screen timed relay (adjusted to 15 min ) so I can one shot the heater any time.
I have made the fan heater work at slow speed to get the heat out of the heater to de frost without going to the car in the AM

I was toying with a remote for £30 from Maplins or CPC but cant see the need at the moment

Gordon

THE-KERNEL

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 22:54:05 »
Quote from: "gordon123"
I have just moded the heater on my TD4 , home made and cost about £30 I used a programmable thermostat from screwfix that I added a resistor to  make it think it was 15deg hotter than it was ! this programs the heater to come on for 15min min at below 5 every AM weekdays as programme timed,   also have a press switch connected to rear screen timed relay (adjusted to 15 min ) so I can one shot the heater any time.I have made the fan heater work at slow speed to get the heat out of the heater to de frost without going to the car in the AM
I was toying with a remote for £30 from Maplins or CPC but cant see the need at the momentGordon

I also have the TD4 with the pre heater and would like to do what you have done, any chance of the fine details by PM or list them as I know others who are interested but cant get any details,. thanks in anticipation, John.

Offline gordon123

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 09:19:01 »
So far I have not documented it! I have got a supplier who has made up a sample timer relay for this job. If there is enough interest I will try to document it! I am having a n issue with running the fan to heat the car at the moment so that bit is not final but I can document the rest when I get time if there is interest! It may make an article in the Freelander club Mag!    

Its certainly dead easy to get the oil burner to run by applying 12 volts to the heater side of the temp switch in front of the Rad. The burner is powered all the time  (eg ign off) and when it sees a +12 there off it goes until the + is removed, all sequences of run up and shut down automatic! I just made up a box with timers and switches to get the + to the -5dig temp switch as and when I wanted it. I used a temp stat £19.99 from screwfix but this requires a resistor fitting in line with the thermister to make the timer work over a lower temp range. Not most people’s DIY job? The Timer relay I have had sample made allows a one push runs the heater for 20 odd mins and then shuts off so you don’t switch it on and forget it!

Gordon123@yahoo.co.uk

JeepCher53

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 11:57:09 »
On the subject of heating, does anyone get problems with air NOT coming out of the upper vents? I can just about feel warmth from the 2 middle vents but hardly anything from the vent by the window. Could this be a filter blocked?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal