AuthorTopic: rear/tailgate door  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Disco Inferno

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
rear/tailgate door
« on: January 19, 2004, 10:15:10 »
I have a problem with the rear tailgate on my 93 disco.
The locks are working fine i think, the button is going up and down anyway, problem is that the outer and inner door hanldes don't seem to be release the latch mechanism, is this a problem anyone has had inthe past??
is it possible to gain access to the lock mechanism to open the door whilst the door is shut 9ie removing the inner panel?
2000 Discovery TD5 GS

1999 Alfa Romeo 146 TS rallycar
1985 Audi Quattro rally car - deceased

Offline 300+

Attack Member
rear/tailgate door
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 11:07:22 »
Yep. Remove the internal handle (10mm socket) and the black plastic handle surround (phillips screw driver). Now carefully prise off the trim panel all around. Work out where the clips are and prise with something broad - I use my widest screwdriver. There will be a bit of a bang as each clip pops out.

Peel back the plastic sheet and there you go.

You should be able to pull directly on the rods to open the door.

Don't know what the problem is. It could be a saggy door or it could be a build up of dirt. If the latter spray everything with brake clean and re-lube.

Steve

themudmurderer

rear/tailgate door
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 11:35:47 »
i had this problem with my disco where silt had built up from going through deep muddy water. this stoped the mechanism working. all i did was clean it up and apply loads of wd40.and it worked.
mike

Offline richardb

Attack Member
rear/tailgate door
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 13:12:42 »
Hiya

Before you take the door apart, prise out the Land rover logo on the outside of the tailgate handle & push the lever back to the door, this may have stuck in the open position, resulting in the catch being disabled.

If this is the case plenty of WD40 will cure the problem.

Let us know how you get on!

Richard
His: Monty - 1994 300 Tdi ES
Hers: Nelson - 1996 TDi S

Offline TOM

Attack Member
rear/tailgate door
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 21:04:40 »
I had this problem 1st time I hit the lock on the out side and it started working, 2nd time took of the panal from inside pulled on a few rods and it worked (still not knowing why it stopped working). Just last weekend it stopped again......this time I disconected the rod from the outside handle and the latch worked on the inside handle and I found the outside latch was stuck... the hinge had stopped working I took it off and eased it back and too, with WD40 it eased off, I put a little more tention on the spring with a pair of pliers and refitted everything. Been good so far!
Discovery 200Tdi.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal