AuthorTopic: Clutch a drag  (Read 5703 times)

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Clutch a drag
« on: December 19, 2015, 23:25:24 »
About 10 days ago, the TDi started playing up.  I'd notice more noise than usual when the clutch was pressed but as I'm using the Micra for work I put it down to getting used to that thing.

The clutch seemed to stick just above the carpet so I played with it for a while but then after about half a mile the clutch started to drag when changing.

Well since then I've tried a few things. The clutch damper first, now the master and slave are new.

What's annoying is that it all seems fine on the drive, but once I get cleaned up and go for a drive it starts again.  HUMBUG!

To add insult the clutch now feels heavier than before, I can't see anything wrong with the mechanicals but I'n not sure the master was 100%.

Now, other than having fitted a duff master cylinder what else could it be?  I haven't done anything inside the bellhousing and despite having  promised the car a new clutch 3 years ago it's still soldiering on.

Any ideas guys?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Clutch a drag
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 00:04:42 »
Well what fo you know, shortly after posting the above, with a squeal and a bang, the clutch let go big time.  I haven't got time to look at it now but I think the release bearing has gone through the pressure plate.

If I get chance I'll post pictures, but don't anyone hold their breath.  I'm working 6 days a week and still a month behind with marking :angry:
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline morson4x4

Attack Member
    • Salisbury
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 18:17:27 »
Sounds like you thrust bearing went caput and wrecked the rest clutch is a day job between mates make sure you buy a whole kit don't wannt old parts with new in there
One Life, Live It

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 00:53:12 »
If I get chance I'll take pictures, I bought a Valeo clutch complete and HD arm.  I've got a better box too so I'll be taking it right out.  Still haven't started it yet  (still haven't caught up with my marking either).

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 17:32:57 »
Well, the marking still isn't done, but the car is fixed :grin:

The clutch plate had fallen apart, springs and bit fell out as soon as I removed the pressure plate.

One of the 3 rivets holding it all together had snapped!

Strangely I can't identify and brand markings on it.  It drove like it was worn out though but looks to be nearly new.

I'll post pictures one day.......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal