AuthorTopic: Sealing an exhaust!  (Read 4929 times)

Offline whitewaterwarrior.jp

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Sealing an exhaust!
« on: July 18, 2015, 18:13:10 »
Hello all,  just re-discovered mud club! Had many issues to resolve alot harder without mudclub!

On to my latest issue! When I'm driving with the sunroof open I seem to be drawing in exhaust fumes from somewhere I've checked the seal around the boot that seem reasonabley tight, then thought it was coming from the Centre joint on the exhaust I re-sealed that, that didn't solve the problem, after a bit more investigation I found that there isn't a gas tight seal between the manifold and the headers,  or the top of the down pipes.  I've been told you use two gaskets with silicone sealant to close up the gap and create a gas tight seal,  as the two flat surfaces may be warped. First question has anybody done this before? and will two gaskets work?  my second is does anybody know where you can get 1000 degrees silicone from,  I can only find silicone which will only Stand Up to 300 degrees C

Thanks all Jonny

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Sealing an exhaust!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 00:22:31 »
Hi Johnny, another old member returns :grin:

Firstly don't use silicone on an exhaust, there's something in it that's not good for you if it burns.

You can get exhaust assenbly putty, if you use that then nip things up finger tight and idle the exhaust untill it starts to cure, then tighten it fully, or use the wrinkly metal gaskets (2 would help) rather than composite types.

Take the headers off, file the mating surfaces flat and remove any old sealer, make the ends of the downpipes slightly convex so that they clamp around the pipe rather than under the bolt heads.

If you have catalysts on the downpipes, this could be your problem.  My LSE kept blowing gaskets when I gave it the beams, the cats were blocked :angry:

Having the roof open can cause air to be sucked in under the doors or from the boot, especially if it's tilted up rather than open.

I use P38 all metal gaskets (the siamesed type) on the heads and eventually I swapped to a sports system which was reliable, until the pipe cracked.

Let us know how you get on.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal