AuthorTopic: Freelander your views  (Read 4195 times)

Offline morson4x4

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury
  • Referrals: 0
Freelander your views
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:20:35 »
Ok always been the but of Land Rover jokes we all heard them soft lander etc I used to be one of these people, but on an honest opinion I do like them (never be a 90) I personal want a 90 or a series but my wife dont want an old one like I do and has suggested a freelander, I've had discoverys for most of my lands playing but what are the freelander like off road (got to compromise somewhere any Land Rover better than none) we looking at a diesel station wagon 1998. I'll open a poll for you to help and comments on their off road abilities thanks for your help
One Life, Live It

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Freelander your views
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 22:43:22 »
That's a toghy to answer because I don't really know what you want.

Are we talking series 1 freebie?  I've been laning with a couple in the past and they can have a good go.  Ground clearance is a factor as is the lack of low box.  See a big hill and you have to take a run up at it.

Also limited as a towcar, both weight and power.

Small, comfy and cheaper to run.

But I have to say, if you can't have a Defender then why not a Disco?  good SII TD5 for 10k these days, that's where I'd be looking if I had an empty space on the drive and some cash in my pocket.

Anything older and you need to budget for a good welder :wink:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline morson4x4

Attack Member
    • Salisbury
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 13:57:03 »
I've had plenty of discos in the past and offroaded them, wife has said if another disco appears on the drive it would have to be a 3 so money can't stretch that far as I do t want hp, if I had my way it would be a 90 all the way but she like the freelander as it's comfy and girly looking
One Life, Live It

Offline morson4x4

Attack Member
    • Salisbury
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:01:57 »
Does the feelander 1 have diff lock still if no low box
One Life, Live It

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 19:10:48 »
AFAIK the freebie 1 does not have a transfer box as such.  It uses a stock Rover FWD gearbox and adds the IRD, this couples to the normal final drive and reduces the speed, turning the motion to drive a propshaft which includes a viscous coupling, outside the gearbox.

The rear wheels try to drive slower (I think) than the front, allowing you to corner as a FWD and the back only pick up the drive if you start to loose traction.  The same system was employed on the Cavalier.

Later F1s had a closer match between front and rear axles to combat early failures of the viscous unit which, like a late RRC, could fail if excessively employed because it causes them to overheat.

The system has no driver input whatsoever.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal