AuthorTopic: clutch push rod  (Read 7021 times)

Offline andygod

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Birmingham and surrounding areas regional Rep
  • Referrals: 0
clutch push rod
« on: November 29, 2013, 06:23:44 »
I've removed and replaced my clutch master and slave cylinders and flexible hose. In the process the clutch pushrod came astray from the clutch arm. does anybody have any tips for getting the rod and plastic clip back into place. I've tried re assembling things without the clip but the rod either failed to connect with the ball or jumped off.

Andygod
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum and jolly bad eggs are we

Offline hrh_dave

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Lybster, Caithness
  • Referrals: 1
Re: clutch push rod
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 07:53:51 »
Andy,

Apparently cable ties are the way to go... I cant quiet remember how I did mine last time but a bit of diging on tinterweb might help... Im about to have to do it all again once I find a gearbox..
"Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away."
www.terranomade.co.uk

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 19:31:47 »
Fitting the cable tie (whilst you have access to the bell housing) to the rod retainer is to stop this exact thing from happening.  The reason being is that if not careful the rod will often detach when changing the clutch slave and it is unlikely you will ever manage to relocate without splitting the bell housing from engine.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline andygod

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Birmingham and surrounding areas regional Rep
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 19:58:57 »
I tried for hrs to relocate the rod and its plastic clip without ant success. In desperation I cut a hole in the case using a tank cutter. Access was good and I managed to relocate the rod and plastic clip easily. I then riveted a plate over the hole using silicon to seal the joint. I don't know why Landrover don't have an inspection plate here to make things easy.
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum and jolly bad eggs are we

Offline Nobber

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 15:40:12 »
Fit the clip to the rod, insert rod inside a 10mm tube (I use copper) then insert the lot into the slave cylinder hole in the bell housing.
The copper tube will hold the rod steady and keep the clip in place while you clip it to the clutch fork.
if it isent broke , whack it with a hammer ,

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 22:23:11 »
In desperation I've heard of people sticking the pushrod to the clutch fork with silicone then assembling the slave a day later when it's set.  The silicone just breaks down in use (or stays put) but I'm not sure if it works as well on the TDi as on the V8 which has a little spike on the back of the ball IIRC.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal