AuthorTopic: The Ultimate Challenge – Around the World 4x4 Charity Drive  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Tom Mc

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
How about this for a challenge?

Four over 70’s in two Suzuki Jimnys are about to embark on one hellava drive – a circumnavigation of the world in four months. As if that’s not enough of a challenge, there will be no luxury and no frills, just four old guys, one a BIG tent and doubtless … a lot of snoring!

Entitled “The Ultimate Challenge” they will be raising funds for a new charity – “Heaven Can Wait I'm Busy” – supporting local and national organisations. As they themselves say, “the idea is to prove that age is no barrier when it comes to getting up and getting on with living life and giving something back to society”.

As part of the challenge they’re also producing a film which will to be sold to TV companies to provide longer term fund raising opportunities.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

They’ve got a sponsorship idea going whereby, for the princely sum of £5, you can have your name (or company name) “displayed on a vehicle that will travel around the world”.

See www.heavencanwaitimbusy.com/roll-of-honour.html

Departing at the end of this month (March) they will of course also gratefully accept any donation of whatever size towards their sizeable fuel/ferry costs.

After the event they will be auctioning off the Jimnys. To this end, I have offered them a free promotional pitch at ADVENTURE OVERLAND … The 4x4, Bike & Trekking Travel Show at Stratford Racecourse 28-29 September 2013 where hopefully they can raise a goodly amount for the vehicles (TBC).

Personally, I think they’re barking mad as 26,000+ miles in a Suzuki Jimny would test the patience of a fit 25-year old, so fair play to them for setting the bar so high. Hence this appeal on their behalf, as I reckon they are going to need all the help they can get – and what better then raising a stack of cash for their charity? Now that’s a great incentive!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 14:13:18 by Tom Mc »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space".

Offline Tom Mc

Attack Member
Re: The Ultimate Challenge – Around the World 4x4 Charity Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:39:13 »
Sorry, I got some of this wrong. The line … Departing at the end of this month (March) they will of course also gratefully accept any donation of whatever size towards their sizeable fuel/ferry costs.

Having just spoken to one Les Carvell, the guy whose idea it was originally, it transpires the crew of the vehicles are completely self-funding, therefore all donations will go direct to the charity – NOT to running costs.

Thought this was an important fact that should be stated.

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 00:57:15 »
Tom , Fair play to you too m8 for bringing this to our attention and as im an envious old codger too my fiver and name will be on one of those lil Jimnys how they are going to get a Big tent in a Jimny I don't know that's worth the fiver donation on its own , :grin:will be watching with interest.
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Tom Mc

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:16:58 »
Perhaps they'll double it up as a gas bag on the roof like they did during the war?  :grin:

Offline Tom Mc

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 16:54:52 »
Just so you are aware:-

The leaving celebrations for The Ultimate Challenge will take place at the Novotel Hotel, Southampton on Sunday 31st March 2013.

It all kicks off around 9.30am and there will be tea, coffee and biscuits for everyone attending. The event will be filmed by Viewpoint Productions as part of the overall film/DVD 'While We Have Time', and Julian Clegg from BBC Radio Solent will be waving the chequered flag to send them off around 11.30am.

If you’re around they would appreciate your support. Be aware though that it’ll be busy in the area, so leave yourself plenty of time!

More details of the send off: www.heavencanwaitimbusy.com/latest-news.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal