AuthorTopic: V8 Rebuild problems  (Read 1508 times)

Offline diesel-smoke

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 Rebuild problems
« on: February 27, 2013, 15:57:23 »
Had the head gasket go on my 3.9, so stripped the top end down, heads checked skimmed and rebuilt, and all back together now with new gaskets and bolts.

However, when I come to start it, it immediately goes to max revs and stays there.

I have checked all wiring connections, hoses etc have been put back correctly, and all seem fine.

Anyone else experienced this, or have any ideas what might be causing it.
1996 Discovery V8i Auto

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Re: V8 Rebuild problems
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 19:28:27 »
Even with the Idle by pass screwed open it'll rev to 2 maybe 3.  I would go over basic's like the throttle is fully closed and there isn't a leak on the pipework and the plenum is sealed. does it do it with the Idle control unplugged?
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline diesel-smoke

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 20:13:08 »
Yes, have backed of the accelerator cable so it is complete slack, and checked the flap inside to make sure it is closed.

There is no difference whether the idle control valve is connected or not
1996 Discovery V8i Auto

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 13:32:02 »
I had something similar on a 3.9 Disco. This was a few years ago now but IIRC it was the Stepper Motor on the back of the Plenum Chamber which was at fault and needed replaced.
You can remove the motor and clean it, then test it's working. You'll need to search for the testing side as I can't remember what to do.  :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal