AuthorTopic: Abs light perminately on  (Read 1666 times)

Offline rhino-force

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
  • Referrals: 0
Abs light perminately on
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:45:15 »
I know there is a link to abs problems but i'm thick  :embarrassed: and wanted to explain the situation from the start and hope that i can get answers in simples terms.
My disco is a 1997 300tdi
I bought it around a month ago with the ABS light on. The guy i bought it from told me it needed a new pump and gave me one with it that came off a perfectly good abs system.
The day before i changed the pump i called him and asked how he came to the descision that it was the pump and nothing else.
He told me that he checked the sensors and they were fine, he then had it plugged into a diaognosic machine which only came with one code. This was the code for abs pump.
I changed the pump anyway and still the light is on.
I'm guessing now this has to be switched off to clear the fault. I had it plugged into the latest snap on solaris diaognostic tool which would not connect with the car.
Can i reset this manually and does this need doing via the ecu or the abs plug?

Help would be appreciated and please remember i am think lol

Offline denzil

Attack Member
Re: Abs light perminately on
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 14:33:48 »
Have you checked the pump fuse and relay?. The relay can be bridged to check to see if the pump is OK. I would take it to a independant  landrover garage and get the fault codes read it will save you a lot of time.

Offline rhino-force

Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 15:18:27 »
where are these

Offline denzil

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 15:39:06 »
On mine the relay is behind the glove box, remove the glove box and look on the bulkhead you will see some relays and
acu's.But I believe on some models the relay's are behind the footwell kick panels.

Offline rhino-force

Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 15:43:36 »
do you know what colour it is and which terminals to bridge?

Offline denzil

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 16:55:23 »
I cant be sure of the colour of the relay, it was a couple of years ago I checked mine. You will need to look on the relay to find the coil conections one side will be grounded the other side will be the switch side I removed the switch wire made up a lead with a 10 amp
fuse in line switched on the ignition put 12 volts onto the switch live via the fused lead and the pump ran. You could disconnect the
pump motor and wire it to the battery direct put a fuse in the lead to be on the safe side just let it run for a few seconds. I will try looking in my manual for the relay colour.

Offline denzil

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 17:34:18 »
Right now later models 1994 on.  Fuse's passenger compartment UPPER auxiliery fuse panel fuse no 3, 10 amp abs, LOWER auxiliery fuse panel fuse no 4, 5 amp abs, engine compartment fuses and fuseable links no5 abs, no 8 abs. Relay's 3 in total, load , warning light, and pump behind passenger side fascia.And just for good measure the ecu is there as well. Hope that helps.

Offline rhino-force

Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 20:30:54 »
thanks bud

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal