AuthorTopic: New EU MOT!!!  (Read 5869 times)

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
  • Referrals: 0
New EU MOT!!!
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:31:44 »
So those Eurocrat chappies have made a proposal to bring in a new Eurowide MOT that would see an end to restoring cars at home (new proposal that rebuilds of any kind must be carried out by qualified engineer), that all vehicles must meet type approval , so no bolt on goodies, after market wheels etc, so no more custom cars and the like, :lipsrsealed: :evil: AA/RAC are to start lobbying right away Eurocracts want to see it come in within 5years  ARE THEY MAD!! it would kill a whole aftermarket industry and put a block on Classics being driven on the road so could only be trailored to shows or put in museums, surely that cant be allowed to happen,
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
Re: New EU MOT!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:06:50 »
That makes me glad I'm a mech. eng. That of course is assuming its actually going to come to pass. Besides I'm a farmer so I'll find a way round.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:01:58 »
I have now read the press release on this and basically they want older cars checked more often ie at least every year. They also want a test if the car is modified between annual tests. They are then after light trailers being tested and sub 3.5 tonne commercial vehicles and trailers to be subject to road side inspections like hgv are. They also want better more advanced test lanes to improve quality.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 18:20:11 »
Dont know where you read the press release but the motoring press make it read a whole lot different than your account of it!

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 22:01:45 »
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/12/555&

Dont think thats the same issues   that the motoring press are up in arms about  as no mention of rebuilds,type approval,etc .
will see if i can get more info .

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 08:08:30 »
This is one of the reasons I don't partake of the British print media if I can help it, you may be right I could very easily have missed something but by the same token its not as if the press have never sensationalised a story to get the public attention.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 12:57:04 »
Not been on here for years, but just checked in to see what conversation was going in about this.

Check here for more information... http://www.the-ace.org.uk/category/latest_news/

There is a forum been set up for discussion of action etc...

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/chat_with_ace/index.php

All those people that are unwilling to believe that it can/will happen, or that are simply just too idle to care, are damaging the chances we have of getting anything done about this happening. Without MAJOR action this becomes law in 6 weeks, all the consultations have already happened, and this information has been leaked very late in the process.

There are many grey areas in it that are throwing up a lot of questions, but it is going to be a nightmare if this gets through.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 20:13:37 »
Just thinking aloud but is this not all bypassed by getting your modded car through an iva?
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 21:36:25 »
It's a good thing though right for the future?  Society needs to grow up over vehicles -  start killing that passion now. For transport and commercial use only - safe and economical. No joy riding and wasting fuel - those times have gone and can not be sustained.

Changing a modern designed vehicle outside of the specification that it was vigorously tested and certified with should indeed be prohibited.

Such laws when they come into force rarely effect vehicles that already in existence, so custom and aftermarket industry will not be immediately effected.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 22:31:02 »
It's a good thing though right for the future?  Society needs to grow up over vehicles -  start killing that passion now. For transport and commercial use only - safe and economical. No joy riding and wasting fuel - those times have gone and can not be sustained.

Changing a modern designed vehicle outside of the specification that it was vigorously tested and certified with should indeed be prohibited.

Such laws when they come into force rarely effect vehicles that already in existence, so custom and aftermarket industry will not be immediately effected.

The whole point of the protest by the companies who produce the aftermarket bolt on goodies is that it will afect them in the acts first year!! there is no telling what they will come up with next as now they are talking about no MOTs for 30year old cars ,the sooner the UK gets out of the EU the better we cant allow these idiots to rule us with thier idiotic laws any longer :evil:

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 08:33:20 »

The whole point of the protest by the companies who produce the aftermarket bolt on goodies is that it will afect them in the acts first year!! there is no telling what they will come up with next as now they are talking about no MOTs for 30year old cars ,the sooner the UK gets out of the EU the better we cant allow these idiots to rule us with thier idiotic laws any longer :evil:
So they wont be able to produce ill fitting ugly body kits, whale wings, and horrendous wheels, stupid loud exhaust tail pipes, neon lighting rails, anything with 'street race' on the package for latest production vehicles....... which bit of this is a bad thing?  That said they would be able to still produce and sell it - just  tht maybe no one can fit the crap to a road legal vehicle.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 13:49:20 »
Ok that's fine but what about winche, spotlight, snorkles heavy-duty bumpers, rops, check plate body protection, window grills, roof racks and the myriad other things 4x4 users use to make their vehicle fit for the use they put it to?  It's all well and good letting chav modds be banned but the law will not differentiate.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 15:40:55 »
Ok that's fine but what about winche, spotlight, snorkles heavy-duty bumpers, rops, check plate body protection, window grills, roof racks and the myriad other things 4x4 users use to make their vehicle fit for the use they put it to?  It's all well and good letting chav modds be banned but the law will not differentiate.

utility vehicles
--and those items can be fitted straight from vehicle manufacturer specification.

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 20:20:55 »
The big point about this whole farce of an act is that it takes away the individuals right to be different or to have choice ,or should we all get about in identical safe little euro boxes and just poottle to and from work in our grey suits and wipe away the thoughts of fun and motorsports at weekends in our different vehicals?? :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: think i will put the sounds on i know Floyd ( the wall ) springs to mind, :sad:

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 22:31:03 »

utility vehicles
--and those items can be fitted straight from vehicle manufacturer specification.

I would suspect absolutely zero items on Daisy fit within the "those items can be fitted straight from vehicle manufacturer specification" suggestion. And as such, do you believe I've done a dangerous job building my 90? I would hope not. I am not alone in modifying a vehicle perfectly safely and I could have my pride and joy taken from me if this went through exactly as proposed.

Personally, I find it hard to believe it can go through without changes. It is highly unlikely to be enforceable retrospectively.

The only scary thing is that they've not gone through a specific consultation. They seem to have taken various earlier consultations and said they make up the basis of this proposal, thus potentially being able to railroad it through EU parliament.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 22:45:04 »
At any point has mention been made of what the eu consider to be modification, are we getting worked up over oversized tyres when they mean different engines? It is after all about roadworthyness not crash safety or taste in colour.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 23:06:23 »
As long as 'the not being enforceable retrospectively' holds true (which is normally the case) then I think it a good thing to bring in for new vehicles.

anyway not as though stupid EU laws are not stamped on after the fact - look at the DIM-DIP headlamp thang.

For factory mods was not thinking LR catalogue bolts on optional extras but thinking more along the lines of Land Rover Special Vehicles modifications to customer specification.

Offline Somerset Mark

Attack Member
    • Suffolk
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 09:18:39 »
At any point has mention been made of what the eu consider to be modification, are we getting worked up over oversized tyres when they mean different engines? It is after all about roadworthyness not crash safety or taste in colour.
The proposal refers to anything that is not standard specification from when the vehicle was built as being a modification.  It does not differentiate between aftermarket supplied or individually manufactured items.  Thus anything, and everything that is done to the vehicle must conform to the original OEM specifications at the time when the vehicle was first registered.
If you want an example of how the EU can mess up your way of life, take a look at how the type approval regulations have affected the rest of the EU. 
The problem is that the proposal is very ambiguous, and there is no absolute detail regarding the level or reach of the proposals, at the moment they relate to safety related and environmental emissions, however if this left to the discretion of the inspectors! Who will be government appointed, not mot inspectors, then who knows how thyme will judge even the smallest and most minor of mods/additions.  If they're going to be worried about some loose wires in the engine bay in the next mot, just how far will they be looking in the future.
Also another aspect of the proposal is that the inspector will have the power to rescind the vehicles registration, (not just fail the inspection), and to get it back on the road will require a full registration.  Also in the event of a structural fail, ie chassis corrosion, the inspector can define he vehicle as scrap, and scrap it, with no proposed mechanism in the paper for appeal.
There are some serious holes in this proposal, and it is possible that it could go through, and be imposed on the uk within three years.  That is certainly worst case.
I think we'd be daft not take it as a serious threat.
Note that it not only is proposed for road vehicles, but trailers as well.
Cheers
Mark

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 21:16:46 »

From any form of car enthusiast point of view  thats just CHILLING !!! :angry:

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 23:44:53 »
As long as 'the not being enforceable retrospectively' holds true (which is normally the case) then I think it a good thing to bring in for new vehicles.

I beg to differ. As long as a test, the MOT in this case, covers all safety aspects effectively, why not allow modification? The biggest danger on the road has always been, and will always be, the driver. Statistically, I think you will find mechanical/electrical failure contributes to a tiny percentage of RTC's. Why should we as tax payers spend all our budget chasing a tiny part of road safety? It would be far better spent improving driver training with more frequent tests. Don't you think?
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 12:13:18 »
Totally agree with that as the Driving test in its present form is a pretty basic test of ability to drive anything more than a lawnmower, :rolleyes:

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 17:43:30 »
Totally agree with that as the Driving test in its present form is a pretty basic test of ability to drive anything more than a lawnmower, :rolleyes:

I can think of some people I wouldn't trust with a lawn mower  :laugh:
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 18:10:07 »
I'm done trollin this tread  :kiss:  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 20:03:51 »
The EU needs to stop interfering with what we all do and start worrying about the financial mess it's got into.

There are far better bits of legislation to harmonise our roads without stopping people having a hobby, after all it will probably stop us spending money on it.

I for one want to see the EU legislation that stops useless old farts who have had their licence for 40 years thinking they can teach teenagers to drive.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal