AuthorTopic: Bump stops  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Pablo011

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Chester
  • Referrals: 0
Bump stops
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:19:14 »
Now another thing I noticed whilst I was changing my rear shocks yesterday, was there wasn't any bump stop rubber thing's on chassis, now is this ok or do I need to find them and get some fitted, the shocks I fitted were the normal Armstrong ones which now work fine, but just wondered if mine have been taken off or left off for a reason ??

dont know what the reason is, has anyone else took them off or not replaced them ???

Thanks

Paul

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
Re: Bump stops
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:20:00 »
I would replace them if I were you. They save mashing the suspension body and axles.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Pablo011

Attack Member
    • Chester
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 20:26:40 »
Agreed it just seems a bit odd for them not to be there but I guess I will have to replace them, I wondered if they were left off as to gain a height advantage but cant really see it

Paul

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 20:36:35 »
On my last disco they just rotted off.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Pablo011

Attack Member
    • Chester
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 21:04:59 »
The bracket the rubber are attached to are there but the rubber blocks are not so will have to replace the whole thing I guess

Paul

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:19:59 »
My Disco failed an MOt because it was missing a bump stop.
I dont know if it was the tester being arsey or if its a legal requirement to have them

wizard

Offline Pablo011

Attack Member
    • Chester
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 07:49:48 »
Not sure about that one because mine passed its MOT without them there...............

Paul

mattyme

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:17:34 »
it sounds like your tester was being an arse wizard!!
and the rubber does just rot of the metal holder. it is worth replacing them tho, theyre cheap enough and are there to stop damage between the axle and chassis

Offline Pablo011

Attack Member
    • Chester
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 17:36:35 »
Ordered a pair off Ebay for £11 so will look forward to getting the old ones(whats left of them) off and the new ones on, while I am at it will also try to fix the passenger window motor and then the front wiper motor jeeeze the list just goes on and on.....................................!

Paul

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 21:00:17 »
Ordered a pair off Ebay for £11 so will look forward to getting the old ones(whats left of them) off and the new ones on, while I am at it will also try to fix the passenger window motor and then the front wiper motor jeeeze the list just goes on and on.....................................!

Paul

It is a land rover product, what did you expect? Besides it builds character.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Pablo011

Attack Member
    • Chester
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 22:31:13 »
I know Lambert I know, and I should have well known but I thought a Disco would have been less character building than a Series 3 that I had before but I guess I have a lot to learn .......................................!!!!!!!!

Paul

Offline Pablo011

Attack Member
    • Chester
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 08:04:53 »
Oh bump stops finally  arrived so will see how easy or hard they are to fit cause the ones on the Disco or whats left of them looks like they have been on since Adam was a lad, so here goes lets get the tools out .................................

Paul  :grin:

Offline Pablo011

Attack Member
    • Chester
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 16:41:41 »
Bump stops fitted, had to cut what was left of the old ones off with my mate the angle grinder. 2 mins max they were off, new ones on  and new rear shocks fitted....brake pads all round next....... bring it on oh hang on, in Chester we have a thunder storm so pads will have to wait...................!!!!

Paul

Offline Disco_Stu

Attack Member
  • Any chance of a tow...?
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 22:50:31 »
Bump stops are pretty important. You say you were fitting shocks - standard length or extended?

The reason I ask is that protecting your shocks is one of their primary functions. As the axle travels upwards, without bump stops and especially with extended or dropped shocks its possible to bottom your shock piston out either bending it, blowing the seals or snapping the eye off the top.

I run standard springs, +5 shocks with larger/extended bump stops and it seems to work ok.

Stu.
1994 300Tdi Disco    

Snorkel now complete.... http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=1906&highlight=

Offline Pablo011

Attack Member
    • Chester
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 09:23:02 »
I fitted the new bump stops and I think standard shocks to the rear and all seems ok with the ride, its a bit hard and lumpy at times but on "normal"roads all is ok

but I am thinking when I next get paid to fit some proper shocks and renew all the bushes under the Disco

Paul

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 20:24:04 »
When our RRC used to bump out a bit on the rough roads I fitted the EAS bump stops from a RRC, they are much more progressive if a bit pricey.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline lurch_917

Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 17:34:57 »

Paul

It is a land rover product, what did you expect? Besides it builds character.

think yourself lucky you didnt buy a jap motor you would be lost trying to find things to do with your spare time ,not having all these repairs to do.
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 19:24:33 »
Bump stops are pretty important. You say you were fitting shocks - standard length or extended?

The reason I ask is that protecting your shocks is one of their primary functions. As the axle travels upwards, without bump stops and especially with extended or dropped shocks its possible to bottom your shock piston out either bending it, blowing the seals or snapping the eye off the top.

I run standard springs, +5 shocks with larger/extended bump stops and it seems to work ok.

Stu.

Stu, what is the benefit of extended shocks on standard springs? I am trying to get my head around these things as I want to change some things on my truck. Does it mean the vehicle remains standard height (no body lift) but you get more articulation droop? Do you have dislocation cones? Other than the extended bump stops do you have to do any other mods like relocating shock mount?   
I want to fit the helper springs that x-eng sell to the 110 but not sure I'd get benefit without changing shocks too. I do not want to lift the body as I have no need for that.   
What is the normal travel length of a standard landrover shock ?  +5 is on top of that?
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Disco_Stu

Attack Member
  • Any chance of a tow...?
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 10:06:09 »

Stu, what is the benefit of extended shocks on standard springs? I am trying to get my head around these things as I want to change some things on my truck. Does it mean the vehicle remains standard height (no body lift) but you get more articulation droop? Do you have dislocation cones? Other than the extended bump stops do you have to do any other mods like relocating shock mount?   
I want to fit the helper springs that x-eng sell to the 110 but not sure I'd get benefit without changing shocks too. I do not want to lift the body as I have no need for that.   
What is the normal travel length of a standard landrover shock ?  +5 is on top of that?
[/quote]

Hi Saffy, The benefit of extended shocks (never mind the springs for the moment) is exactly what you say. More droop travel or articulation keeping the tyres in contact with the ground for longer, this is beneficial for the obvious reasons.

As mentioned, I run standard height springs but due to my 2" body lift, my truck is the same height as a truck with a 2" suspension lift. My set up is to use +5" raised shock mounts on the rear with standard springs - i run 2" pin - pin rather that pin - eye shocks. I run cones to help the springs, which are miles away from their seats on full extension, relocate when it levels out.

The only reason to fit helper springs is if you have more shock travel than spring travel - i.e. if your springs dislocate on full articulation. The helper springs then take over and add a bit of downforce to the drooped wheel improving traction in theory. I've never tried them nor have i seen them in use so couldnt really advise you. I do remeber someone (might have been Doug?) saying they made their truck squimy and scary on road but i suppose it depends what you use your truck for.

My best advice to you is to put your wallet away and have a good think. Do you want X-eng springs because they're cool or because you keep on loosing traction at full articulation?

Yes I've fitted different shock mounts but not just for travel reasons. Yes i run cones, if you dislocate on a regular basis you pretty much have to. Yes i run extended bump stops and I'm still happy with the ammount of upwards travel or tuck-in I get. What is the length of the standard shock, or its travel - not sure, it think i used to know and have a suspicion its about 5 or 6 inches.

I also have no anti-roll bars, goodrich extended brake hoses and heavy duty spring retainers front and back. Thats about it.

So, what do you use your 110 for? Does it need oodles of travel because your a trialler / pay and player? Set it up for what you want it to do most of and dont forget, land rover set it up so its pretty good at everything already so if it is used for a bit of everything does it really need to change?

Stu.
1994 300Tdi Disco    

Snorkel now complete.... http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=1906&highlight=

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 10:11:54 »

Hi Saffy, The benefit of extended shocks (never mind the springs for the moment) is exactly what you say. More droop travel or articulation keeping the tyres in contact with the ground for longer, this is beneficial for the obvious reasons.

As mentioned, I run standard height springs but due to my 2" body lift, my truck is the same height as a truck with a 2" suspension lift. My set up is to use +5" raised shock mounts on the rear with standard springs - i run 2" pin - pin rather that pin - eye shocks. I run cones to help the springs, which are miles away from their seats on full extension, relocate when it levels out.

The only reason to fit helper springs is if you have more shock travel than spring travel - i.e. if your springs dislocate on full articulation. The helper springs then take over and add a bit of downforce to the drooped wheel improving traction in theory. I've never tried them nor have i seen them in use so couldnt really advise you. I do remeber someone (might have been Doug?) saying they made their truck squimy and scary on road but i suppose it depends what you use your truck for.

My best advice to you is to put your wallet away and have a good think. Do you want X-eng springs because they're cool or because you keep on loosing traction at full articulation?

Yes I've fitted different shock mounts but not just for travel reasons. Yes i run cones, if you dislocate on a regular basis you pretty much have to. Yes i run extended bump stops and I'm still happy with the ammount of upwards travel or tuck-in I get. What is the length of the standard shock, or its travel - not sure, it think i used to know and have a suspicion its about 5 or 6 inches.

I also have no anti-roll bars, goodrich extended brake hoses and heavy duty spring retainers front and back. Thats about it.

So, what do you use your 110 for? Does it need oodles of travel because your a trialler / pay and player? Set it up for what you want it to do most of and dont forget, land rover set it up so its pretty good at everything already so if it is used for a bit of everything does it really need to change?

Stu.

Thank you for reply.
 I have kinda of decided to leave as it is for the time being and mostly the reason concurr with that you say. The truck roll is being mainly nano-expedition weekend overlander (perm fitted roof tent) and a general load bearing workhouse towing a sankey.  Occasional light to medium greenlaning in Wiltshire and Mid Wales.   Have fitted the x-eng sway bar so have better ARB on road and unlock ARB off road.
The springs on rear are standard height heavy duty but are aging and with the roof tent being fitted they have leveled out on par with the front (they used to give rear end a slight dragster effect). Still got over 4 inch above tyre and plastic wheel arch edge  which is may gauge for fubar springs.
 I moved the NATo tow hitch off the slider dixonbate and fitted to cross member which now restricts the height adjustment for the trailer ride. Trailer is level to slight nose down when empty. If I renew the rear springs I think it will end up giving me a nose up trailer - which I do not want. My mkiii snakey is the non-wolf type. The wolf type have the hitch raised on the trailer frame for the extra height of the truck suspension. ( You see people with these trailers fitted to disco on forum and ask why they are horrendously nose down. not knowing they have the wolf version).

.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal