AuthorTopic: auto box  (Read 3642 times)

Offline lambert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
  • Referrals: 0
auto box
« on: July 12, 2012, 17:50:28 »
I have just planted the idea of an auto conversion in the mind of the old boy. Has anyone done the swap and if so which donor box did you use and where did the selector end up would I have to forego my middle seat? Basically what issues are there is it worth the grief?
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
Re: auto box
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 20:16:42 »

Most of those  that ive seen /driven have used the RR 4 speed box dont know its factory title the selector is  about 6in into the area that the middle seat would occupy, as to is it worth the trouble i think only you can decied that,
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 20:35:11 »
you can buy the Defender Northern American spec floor panels and tunnel from ashcroft. That is what I was going to do, source an auto (donor was going to be my disco 300tdi) and buy the panels to make it look factory.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 21:19:10 »
you can buy the Defender Northern American spec floor panels and tunnel from ashcroft. That is what I was going to do, source an auto (donor was going to be my disco 300tdi) and buy the panels to make it look factory.

Factory look would be the target. I'll see what I can find on the ashcroft panels. As to is it worth it, I was more thinking in terms of monetary value, ie will it add value to the car above what it might cost to do? If get the box for free by buying a non mot disco  and splitting it up that would make it more doable I guess than paying a garage, hmm lots to think about cheers boys.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 20:45:42 »
Hi. I'm currently part way through an Auto conversion as a topic on LRUK will show.

You can use the ZF4 HP22 that comes with all the RRC and Discovery series 1's. you can just swap the boxes but you'll need the driveplate that replaces the flywheel too, and a good does of luck that when fitting you don't muck the oil pump drive up.
a Good way is to replace it all in one.

The selector has a little freedom as to where it can go, i have seen them down in the seatbox just above the hand brake and so it just keeps the cubby box, Or just planked in the middle of the blank middle seatbox panel. Or as I like quite a few have their heart set on the NAS spec centre console. This along with the rest of the fitting kit like the correct mount for the shifter, and the adapter that moves the Hi / Lo selector housing back into the hole of the tunnel. It can all be got from ashcroft. Who are going to love me once the series 3 is sold.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 21:21:09 »
Cheers for that. I will let the idea ferment in lordship's mind a little longer enough for it to be his idea then we might get somewhere with it. Possibly.
Lambert Coverdale.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal