AuthorTopic: Defender 110 XS Utility  (Read 2555 times)

Offline schuee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Defender 110 XS Utility
« on: July 07, 2012, 00:10:41 »
Hello All,

Not been on the forum for a while so must apologise firstly, and certainly never posted on the Defender section.
What it is that I currently have an 05 plate TD4 Freelander commercial which I run as a company vehicle, and the gaffa has said I can look for another vehicle now. Due to the high cost of company car and fuel tax which would be imposed, I have decided on another commercial vehicle. Anyway have test driven a VW Transporter Kombi, and by all standards is more car like than a van and I was really impressed with it, though next Tuesday I will be test driving a new 110 XS Utility, I have been in a TD5 as a passenger plenty of times, though have never driven one, and have never been in a new Defender.
What my question is that I only cover around 25,000 miles a year which is mostly motorway miles, does anyone else use their Defender for day to day motorway miles, and what are the good and bad points, as i have read all sorts of things from internet reviews, I seriously want another Landy, though it has to be a commercial and have the rear seats for the kids now, don't get me wrong my Freelander is by no way luxurious and I do like to plod along around 75-80 mph which suits me fine, and is really basic though I love the old Hippo and have had some good times in her, though the Defender obviously is another kettle of fish, the boss has said its my decision, so any opinions from the hardened Defender crowd would be most greatful.
Cheers
Keith
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 00:26:00 by schuee »

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
Re: Defender 110 XS Utility
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:59:34 »
Defenders even new ones are pretty brutal things, loud, uncomfortable, thirsty. But if you can handle that they are the best most consumate car you could want. They will tolerate motorways and other fast roads but are much happier on country lanes and muddy fields. I love mine it's so much more me than any other car I've ever had.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 14:05:39 »
Hello Lambert

I guess I know were you are coming from, I cannot wait untill Tuesday I'm sure I will love it. Anyway the wife and kids have told me it has to be a Landy:-)
Cheers
Keith

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 14:52:45 »
Realistically it could be the last car you ever buy if you get on with it. When you get it spend some time under it with the waxoil gun it will save you in the future that said there is nothing that can't be replaced as needed using a fairly sparse tool kit. Don't be put off by the engine being computerized as there is now loads of support available and equally it's not impossible to retro fit a full mechanical unit if the world as we know it grinds to a stop. They are truly epic in their ability to solve life's little issues. They will cope can you?
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 17:25:18 »
Counting the hours away until Tuesday :grin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal