AuthorTopic: defender to disco hub  (Read 2056 times)

Offline mayhem16uk

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
defender to disco hub
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:57:33 »
I've got an early 90 with a hub that isn't good for much longer. It's eating the bearings due to damage where the inner bearing outer race sits. I have a disco 1990 waiting to be broken. Can they be switched without too much hassle. Just the hubs and stub axles if needed. have tried the search but couldn't find a conclusive answer. Would be difficult to switch the whole axle on my own so hubs would be easier. Also has anyone seen a 90 with the hub and drum on the rear as one unit. Drum cannot be removed without removing hub nuts, no little screws or anything as I usually find.
1990 3.5 V8 Discovery, 5inch lift, 285/75/16 BFG Muds

Defender 90 Ragtop 2.5NA :(, 285/75/16 BFG Muds, Snorkel, Light Bar, Spots, Roll Cage

Offline biggerlandy

Attack Member
Re: defender to disco hub
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 21:11:49 »
easy job this one, as for front axle undo ring of bolts on swivel to axle case,  withdraw whole hub unit with half shaft etc pop look at end of half shaft defender ones might be 10 spline if so transfer disco diff into your casing you might have to swap 4 bolts over they just tap out. carefull not to damage thread, use a bigger nut and 1 normall nut to pull them backm in. then just put new hub units back in. for the back axle just put disco one in complete but you will have to change diff flange over you either get another one of a disco front diff and you need collapseble spacer aswell sits behind diff flange you need to change on back axle disco is 3 finger type and defender is 4 finger hope this helps you
just get muddy

Offline mayhem16uk

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 22:16:11 »
cheers for your reply. i think i will try just switching the whole swivel over instead of messing with hubs and stub axles. will the defender caliper fit the disco items as the disco i have has the twin pipe setup which i dont want to mess with. such a pain as its my daily driver so its gotta work first time really. As for the rear axle, my plan was always to swap them over anyways. just wondered if anyone had seen one like that before. every rear drum brake land rover ive had could be pulled apart without removing the hub nuts but this is one complete unit. hub with built in drum. the workshop manual doesnt show it as being anything like that.
1990 3.5 V8 Discovery, 5inch lift, 285/75/16 BFG Muds

Defender 90 Ragtop 2.5NA :(, 285/75/16 BFG Muds, Snorkel, Light Bar, Spots, Roll Cage

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 23:22:33 »
I think the answer is NO, the bearing sit further apart on the Defender than the Disco and the drive member/halfshaft sticks out surther.  it has a stronger CV in fact is probably a stronger axle completely.  It has a solid Phospher bronze CV bearing too which is stronger.

You can bolt up the parts form one axle into the other, I've done it, just couldn't get the alloys back on.

As for the back, I'm no expert on drums but I thought they all came away seperate from the hub
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal