AuthorTopic: Opinions please, TD5 or 300TDI  (Read 16902 times)

Offline fasthands

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Opinions please, TD5 or 300TDI
« on: November 28, 2011, 19:25:08 »
I have a budget of
Land Rover repair guide, Don't fix anything, because if you do something else always breaks, so fix nothing and nothing will break!!!

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
Re: Opinions please, TD5 or 300TDI
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 19:50:36 »
I dont know where you are in South/West  but there is a firm in Somerset or Devon called the Land Rover man i know a couple of people who have bought from him, only sells super clean stuff and i would of thought 7K would get you something nice and clean with good warrenty, for me it would be 3ootdi  my thinking is less ecu ,s  and other leccy bits the better also one of the last 300tdi,s should be better than a early td5 -my mate a Landy mechanic says that the td5 is too clever for its own good, :wink: good luck with your hunt Landroger,
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 23:24:33 »
td5, all problems have seen light for a long time now so no longer a voodoo unit and can be maintained at home when you have access to diagnostics unit, plus plenty of spares at breaker yard for them where as 300tdi getting harder to source. Much nicer to drive engine with it's decent mid range and top end poke over the now ageing 300tdi. TD5 will eat more fuel than the 300tdi though. A clapped out worn and ill maintained engine is a dog no matter what it is though so careful selection is the key no matter what you choice.... never believe the 'they just start to wear in at 120 k' chuff.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:00:52 »
300 but get a tidy late one. Fixable with spaners not computers and nicely tunable on the pump and turbo if you want.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline ARMYBOB

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 21:52:24 »
TD5 all the way, ok teh oil in loom thing is a pain but spend a few quid and get it changed straight away

way more tuneable!, remaps etc, therefore more driveable ecu blah blah blah, are you gonna drive accross the sahara in it? no well then

it has sensors like a any semi modern car does, yes they can fail, but they can also be replaced

as mentioned before how many 300tdi's left? and getting rarer, 200tdi? forget it

the car will be newer, less of the old car problems to deal with

mines is a 110 td5 2001, goes well, looks great, does what it says on the tin still manages 90 on the motorway all be it loud and wobbly and at a great thirst, but it is pretty much standard in the engine, just a filter and egr bypass no tuning yet!

when the tdi's are all gone the td5 will be the one to have, and puma/tdci will be the hated one!

i love mine and if you get a good one you are laughing

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 23:25:58 »
TD5 all the way, ok teh oil in loom thing is a pain but spend a few quid and get it changed straight away

way more tuneable!, remaps etc, therefore more driveable ecu blah blah blah, are you gonna drive accross the sahara in it? no well then

it has sensors like a any semi modern car does, yes they can fail, but they can also be replaced

as mentioned before how many 300tdi's left? and getting rarer, 200tdi? forget it

the car will be newer, less of the old car problems to deal with

mines is a 110 td5 2001, goes well, looks great, does what it says on the tin still manages 90 on the motorway all be it loud and wobbly and at a great thirst, but it is pretty much standard in the engine, just a filter and egr bypass no tuning yet!

when the tdi's are all gone the td5 will be the one to have, and puma/tdci will be the hated one!

i love mine and if you get a good one you are laughing
Funny enough a lot of people in this club actually do drive the Sahara etc , we have followed the Dakar route through Portugal/Morocco , and a lot of expeditions use 200tdi /300 tdi as they are good on fuel dont have to carry as much can be fixed with spanners and more likely to find spares for them in the far flung places +hugely reliable, TD5 is a fine lump but not for me,
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline ARMYBOB

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 18:33:11 »
LR never in dispute, but the question was is he going to?

if i were going to teh sahara, or a long trek i would carry a spare known working ecu with me plus a handful of sensors etc

the rest is teh same more or less

Offline fasthands

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 23:55:54 »
[!Expletive Deleted!].. That's done it, I was going To go for 300tdi there are a few real nice ones available but the unexpected vote of confidence for the TD5 has got me thinking. I need to get this right first time I wont be able to afford this again..
Land Rover repair guide, Don't fix anything, because if you do something else always breaks, so fix nothing and nothing will break!!!

Offline fasthands

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 00:28:04 »
Had a look on eBay and is seems 7k won't be enough for a TD5 I may be able to push to 7.5k, but still not many and just when I think I've found one they want VAT on top.. :-(
Agh well 300tdi it will be.. But I will search for the best available.. If anyone here can point me in the direction of a top example of a 300 or a td5 within my budget please let me know.. 07935597638.. Cheers, Mark.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:54:58 »
wrong time of year to get a 4x4 as price hike closer to snow season

anyway forget  90 and see the light and get a 110....

1997 (P) 110 Hardtop
300 Tdi Diesel
 A well maintained low mileage 110 in Coniston Green
Tow pack
Chequer plate wing and sill protectors
A/T radials on modular rims
Electric winch and winch bumper.
Rear windows.
Waranted Mileage of 71,000 miles
Price

Offline fasthands

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 06:51:54 »
Too big man, I need something a bit more nimble than a 110 where I need to go.
Snow season is that the two days of sleet we get down here in Devon.. Price hike for this time of year I agree, but I will find something hard cash works sometimes as not many are spending this time of year too.  Cheers though..

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 07:53:47 »
bah 110 go anywhere a 90 can

Offline ARMYBOB

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 19:27:22 »
110 :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline fasthands

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 11:38:20 »
Well folks I am going to look at a TD5, the one advertised on here with 48k on the clock. I have had to increase my budget a bit by selling a few belongings but I think it will be a worth while sacrifice..
Iv'e fired a few emails to him and he sounds a real nice chap and has filled me in on the details. So hopefully when he returns from overseas I can go take a look and buy it. I will be under four wheel drive power by Christmas.  :cool:

diesel_jim

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 20:10:32 »
I'm with ArmyBob... Td5 all the way.

I used to be a 300 fan, then got my first company car (Td5 110 CSW), and have built 2 more myself since. great engine, very tunable for not much money, reliable. The only sensor that can "stop" the engine is the CPS..Crank Position Sensor, about

Offline fasthands

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 08:01:12 »
Thanks for the opinions it's surprised me how many are TD5 fans, I thought most Land Rover drivers were 200/300tdi through and through.. Well proper Land Rover (Defender/Disco) drivers.. Misus wanted me to buy a plastic Land Rover (Freelander) I made her sit on the naughty step and have a good think about what she said!
I will upgrade the intercooler and remover the EGR then get it mapped, I have loads of top notch intercoolers at my disposal for next to nothing.. Got some maths to do first to get the right size. Turbos are my thing and biggest isn't always best when it comes to intercoolers, short and fat/long and thin are major factors that often get overlooked.
Can't wait to get it..

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 23:26:03 »
Starting with a clean sheet I'd say TD5, they are a known quantity and actually one of LRs best engines!

More poke, driveability, newer with better parts supply.

However, a TDi will run on bio or veg oil, they fix with only spanners and there are plenty about.

Buy on condition though, a good truck with either engine is a good truck and a dog is a dog.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Landyman

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 19:59:21 »
I have had dozens of TDis over the years and am now on my 3rd TD5 I would never have a tdi  again. Far too slow. My Current 110 has been tuned and has intercooler upgrade and ashcroft gearbox conversion. I do a fair few motorway miles and can sit in the ouside lane all day long and still have a bit of spare power if needed. This is the first Defender I've ever had that will do more than 100mph.
I must admit I have a heavy right foot but still get 25 mpg. Mines now done over 150,000 miles and still going strong.
If you can find one I can't recomend the TD5 highly enough.
Landyman ...
If in doubt go flat out!!!!

Offline fasthands

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 21:44:55 »
Well I got the TD5 and very happy with it.. Until today...

To welcome me into the new year I have now got a dead TD5 90... I have just fitted my Raptor dash console all went well and looking good, but the previous owner had fitted the 2003 onwards centre console into my Y2K 90 to do this he has made a right poor job of extending the wires for the hazard warning switch so while I was trying to make it better I blew the fuse under the seat for the alarm/interior lights etc. I fitted a new fuse but now my keyfob won't deactivate/activate the alarm and when I turn the ignition switch the alarm starts singing. The engine warning light comes on and there is no power to the starter.

So now I am in the S***t big time.. I don't have the code for the keyfob either..  I wish I could get rid of the alarm/immobiliser altogether but guess that's not possible. Also could someone take a photo of the wires going to the hazard warning switch showing what wire goes to which pin on the 2003>td5 90 and the older version so I can cross reference.
The Haynes manual is a waste of time as none of the diagrams are anything like my 90...

Offline ARMYBOB

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 17:23:00 »
that sucks, if it isnt raining in the am i will go get you a pic of mine, 2001 110 should be the same

you have fallen foul of someone elses shoddyness, and i am gutted for you, on the up side i am glad you have been happy up to now with it, i dont know much about the alarm system on tem to be honest so can thelp with that if you get no joy on here try defnder 2 another very useful forum with lots of knowledgable people.

Offline Landyman

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 18:58:49 »
Re your alarm. I had a bit of trouble with a factory fitted alarm /imobiliser on a 300tdi defender a few years back I took it to Rogers of bedford and they disabled the whole lot for about
Landyman ...
If in doubt go flat out!!!!

Offline fasthands

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 22:06:29 »
Got it sorted at last managed to re sync the alarm fob and decipher the hazard switch wiring. I now need the three plugs and a hazard switch for the standard pre 2003 switch panel the one near your right knee.. Anyone got any?

Offline psulli16

Attack Member
    • coventry
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 12:01:14 »
300TDI Me thinks, less , actualy NOP electrics other than egr which is normally off by now. So less Gremlins

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal