AuthorTopic: LWB Defender what should we pay?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline winchman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
LWB Defender what should we pay?
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:10:38 »
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Going to look at a defender.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at this for a friend
Its a 1994 LWB with 5 doors and windows all around.
Its a 300TDi starts on the button, bodys tidy, just had back end of chassie / cross memeber done, cant remember which, slight rust on two door bottoms
with 12 momths MOT
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: LWB Defender what should we pay?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 17:55:32 »
for a start it's a 110 station wagon (possible a county) LWB term faded with the series .

3500 sound's fair for age if GOOD condition...but what's the mileage like?

below is a list of points of concern that I can think of right now that you might find on a 110 csw 300tdi. They are the things I would want to look out for and use as bargaining points to get a better price of they don't come up to scratch. Of course also look for things which are generic to all vehicles liek chips in screen...odd worn tyres etc ......

Check the cross member that is under  go across the chassis just under floor where the 2nd row seats are (on top of chassis between the two apex body panels behind 2nd row doors).... *that* is the first thing to corrode out on a 300tdi defender station wagon. You wont find it on commercial 110 chassis... if it's not there at all then ask questions as to why as it's been removed to pass MOT sneakily. (cheap to buy but a big pig of job to do).

check when the timing belt was done, ask if it was modified to overcome the premature wearing fault instead of just early belt changes... 1994 is prime for that issue (my r reg disco 300tdi had it still !)...be concerned if they don't know as you will then need to change belt with the full modded pulley kit ASAP to find out.

Check for smooth 2nd-gear gear changes on the r380 box.

See if a boge self leveling unit is fitted to the rear A-frame... check if it's working, if it's not then the rear will look very saggy and the rear spring will also be shot. THe boge should  'pump' up after a short ride with a  few bumps. Expensive to replace if it's seized or leaking. Boge unit can be replaced totally with uprated springs on rear.

Talking of springs see how tired they are on front too. They should saggy by now.

Check roll bar is still fitted to rear.

Check roof lining is not billowing and saggy.

See if headlamps have been upgraded to non sealed beams.

Check for classic 300tdi p-gasket leak (rust stains on block behind alternator).

Check to see if inter-cooler fins have been damaged by jet washing.

See of the indicator lens have faded out.

Check for diesel leak signs on the rear tank, and also on the injecting pump spindle.

CHeck for side to side excessive movement on brake/clutch pedals.

check to see how good quality welding has been done on the replacement rear cross member, see if it's been welded ontop of the chassis too and not just sides  :lipsrsealed:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 18:01:25 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline winchman

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:58:24 »
Thanks for that.
I know the guy who is selling it, he is only the second owner, the first was a company, the guy selling has had it about 3 years, fixed the rot, and rebuilt the top end of the engine
I will have a good root around and see what I can find.
On first impressions it looks tidy engine starts and runs well, when I look at Ebay and auto trade the prices are all over the place but mostly more expensive.
The insides need putting back together as seats have been out to give it a proper clean
Remember it will come in handy even if you never use it

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:16:25 »
Sounds  a very good buy !!

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal