AuthorTopic: Frontera 3.2 V6 problems (long post)  (Read 3734 times)

Offline padjy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Frontera 3.2 V6 problems (long post)
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:49:12 »
hi every one,

right, got some issues with the other halfs mum and dads 2004 Frontera V6 done 63k miles,

ill start from the beginning and list as much as i can remember that we've done to it or tried to eliminate as many things as possible

they bought it at the end of last year, was alright untill after xmas then started playing up, it was loosing power, and overheating (instant thought was head gaskets but power would come and go) it went in to the garage the they checked it over and pulled a compression test and it was fine, apart from one cylinder but they said it was such a tiny amount it wouldnt cause any grief, there was bluey smoke from the back of it, and the garage reported finding water in the spark plug holes but were bafled as to where it could possibly come from. but its not using oil, or water, theres no mayo in the oil cap and theres no bubbles or the usual head gasket smells in the radiator and its not pressusrising the cooling system

so when i first came to look at it, it wouldnt run, it would start but splutter out as though it was choked or starved, the diagnosis theyd been given was a blocked cat,

so i got underneath, bashed on the cats, left one making a noise, disconected the cat. it ran slightly better but still cut out, then bridged the fuel filter with a length of pipe, ran slightly better again but stil cut out.

so the next step was to check the fuel pump........no inspection hatch so the tank has to be dropped, so listened in first, when the ingnition was switched on there was a gurgling and clicking sound from the fump, so tank off job 

new pump fitted, tank back on, new filter, started it up, and it ran fine, revved fine, ticked over spot on (although loud because only half an exhaust is connected on one side and only the manifold on the other.)   

then while we were getting ready to pull it into the garage it started blue smoking!   turned it off, and now it wont start again! 

it cranks over and you can hear it wanting to fire and due to only being a few parts of the exhaust connected you get a few back fires, theres definateley fuel getting through because you can smell it out of the exhaust....then it makes your eyes sting

everything i could think of off the top of my head i checked,

pump, relays fuses, fuel rail, plugs........a few had some oil on the coil pack side but that would just be from the gasket at the rocker cover. but on one cylinder.....there was water down the spark plug hole!  but no way of determning where its come from 

if anyone has any experience or knowledge that would point me to a more specific area that i might be missing that would be great!

cheers,

Steve

http://www.youtube.com/Bones2k7

Offline dxmedia

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Frontera 3.2 V6 problems (long post)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:13:35 »
I'd jump over to muddyfrontera.co.uk for more specific advice, but I recon a cracked block / head personally.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal