AuthorTopic: 110 TD5 - 'bag of spanners' under power..  (Read 2876 times)

Offline age

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
110 TD5 - 'bag of spanners' under power..
« on: September 20, 2011, 15:18:29 »
Not checked the site out for yonks since it was down for a 'while'..... good to see it up and running.

So.... out of the blue near Reading last Friday suddenly a grinding/deep rumble from transmission, especially bad (like eye wateringly bad) driving from about 30 in 4th.

Can drop a gear and still rumbling but not resonating so badly, pul through to 35+ and then ease into 4th and nurse it through leeser grumbling to 40+ when it drops to tolerable levels (although still against all instinct to keep driving it.

Stopped in v helpful garage who checked gearbox and transfer box levels - I know seals are past their best but both had enough oil in.  Couple of squirts in gearbox topped it up.

Over weekend found that with transfer box in neutral and gbox in gear it will produce major bag of spanners impression - esp 3rd or 4th, but all gears.

Help.....!

Its Xreg td5, with 175k on the clock - mostly road it has to be said.

Clutch was replaced about 80k - plate pretty unworn, but spigot bush almost worn through - whatever we do now will mean box off so new clutch anyway (and release bearing and ....?).  Had 2 very intermittent rumbles from that direction over the last 2 months, but went away again.

To my inexpert mind it seems flywheel? or would spigot bush do this (I have no idea what the spigot bush does!!)? or gearbox itself?

All ideas welcome....

For the clutch job while we are in there, any recommendations for clutch kits/suppliers?  I'm headed to LR for oe but purely as I know no better - does anyone else do a top notch alternative.

If not a kit, what should I be asking for?

I don't have the gear or experience to take this one on, sadly, but the workshop I use will do a good labour only deal and I supply the bits.

Thanks for any help guys.... cheers, A
3 Defenders on and I'd still buy another.....

Offline pondy653

Attack Member
    • Norwich
Re: 110 TD5 - 'bag of spanners' under power..
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 15:52:04 »
Sorry to say but it could be you have correctly diagnosed the flywheel as the problem.  The TD5 has a Dual Mass flywheel which are known to break up.  I believe Britpart do a replacement solid flywheel but quite how good it is, I wouldn't know.

What is for sure your gona have to get the gearbox off to full diagnose your issue.

Best of luck

Tony
98 Defender 110 CSW Tdi
Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Sport DSG
Yamaha WR450F (for treading really lightly)
4x4 Response (Norfolk&Suffolk) Member since 1999

Offline Big G

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:48 »
It could be the flywheel like has been said. When the box is off and the flywheel taken off you will be able to tell if theres any excess play. If you can rattle it in your hands its fecked. Dual mass flywheels are a s**t idea. For info a spigot bush is just a ring of metal, often Bronze, that gives a tolerance fit for the gearbox input shaft. Best of luck.  G

Offline age

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 21:57:27 »
Thanks chaps - pricey either way esp as the clutch will have to be swapped while we are in there.... 

Any views on LR branded clutch kit or QH or Valeo?

Flywheel sounding flavour of the month.  In for strip down tomorrow - will post when I find out for general info!  Cheers, A

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 21:26:00 »
A symptom of DM flywheel failure on other marques is a trashed starter ring gear, half worn away and eventually poor starting.  Pull the starter out and look at it, you might feel some play in the flywheel too, I don't know.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline age

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 14:51:18 »
Sorry folks - very rude silence after some useful input.

T'was indeed the flywheel - busted spring internally locked the whole thing up and off-balance - still can't believe what an awful din that put through the gearbox.  That drag start I did probably put the final nail in the coffin.....

New Valeo flywheel and clutch/pressure plate, LR release arm and slave cylinder - super smooth and lighter than when it was off the production line tbh.

Crank oil seal and old friction plate were in great nick apparently - but now we're good for another 100k!! 

Now got an irritating very occasional 'misfire' at near full revs - wondering whether loom has gone again, will have a squint at the weekend.

Cheers, A

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal