AuthorTopic: On Board air ....again  (Read 5184 times)

Offline wizard

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
  • Referrals: 0
On Board air ....again
« on: September 03, 2011, 18:05:43 »
Well after selling the Disco earlier in the year i now regret not taking the OBA system off.The guy that bought it said he would give it a good home and wouldn't strip it. (guess what happened)

I wanted to put a York air con compressor on the Defender but couldn't get the one i wanted, so I bought a T max double piston compressor from Bearmach for

Offline tomo-tdi

Attack Member
Re: On Board air ....again
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:53:35 »
This is something ive been looking at over and over and i think im probably going to do it would love to see some pics mate

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:34:54 »
what did you use for plumbing? when I played around using a similar compressor into pressure regulated tank I used the supplied air line and it always got too hot/melted and blew the joints. I would have liked to have plumbed that bit in metal but other project took over.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline wizard

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:55:22 »
On the engine driven compressor I used copper tubing because the  air was so hot it would melt the standard nylon pipe.
So far i have used standard nylon pnumatic pipe, I might swap it all for copper pipe when I get a bit more time.
I have run the Tmax compressor for 10 min and although the air was warm it was no where near hot enough to melt the pipes.

I will post some pix later.

wizard

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 19:17:55 »
can the standard landrover tdi aircon compressor be used? I presume the york is used because of the way its cooled/lubricated.

Offline wizard

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:34:01 »
Hi
Yes a standard sanden compressor can be used but It will need an oil drip feed on the air inlet side as there is no lubrication on it.
The York compressors run in and oil bath.

I used to have a Sanden one and it was great, I just used to put a few drops of 123 oil in it every now and again.

wizard

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 19:54:37 »
cool, as I have recently decommissioned the aircon system on the mrs disco... so possibility to retro fit to the defender for on board air. Any more info, or a link to further reading so I know the in's and outs? 

I will have to move my fuel change over solenoids as they are located where aircon comp mounts.

Offline wizard

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 08:30:02 »
Here is some pix, not the best in the world however.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 20:32:20 »
thing about this more, but not researched elsewhere yet (i remember from before there lots of on board air resource on USA forums).

My 110 was originally fitted with air braking system which I decommissioned. I retained the very large under slung air tank, it has an inlet and outlet fitting for heavy duty plastic pipe and a drain plug plug which I think is also a pressure release safety valve.

So what else would I need for onboard air project?   Standard tdi aircon compressor mounted up with correct pulleys/tensioner and belt. I presume some way of electrically switching in it's clutch when needed? Filter with oil feed on it's inlet side? Plumbing from the compressor outlet straight to the tank? Let the pressure relief valve handle the max pressure regulation or should I fit a electrical pressure switch that cuts the compressor clutch in and out? On the outlet of tank do I need to fit an adjustable regulator like you'd get on a normal air compressor? maybe some plumbing to a suitable location for an airline/tool coupling?

any help advice to the above.....

my goal is to run some airtools, pump tyres and maybe run my spray gun off it for waxoly etc

Offline wizard

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:46:01 »
Hi
Sorry for the delayed responce.

You will need to switch the air con clutch on and off with a relay and electrical air pressure switch.
Rua a 12v supply from a master on /off switch through a normally closed contact on a pressure switch(rated 0 - 12 bar for example) and then switch a relay on.
Use the open contact on the relay to switch in the air con clutch.

You will need a safety relief valve on the tank (set higher than your air pressure switch) to vent the tank if the electrical pressure switch fails to switch the compressor off.

The air outlet on the compressor can be run straight to the tank, but the air will be very hot after a few minutes of the compressor running, if you want to be perticular you could put an air cooler and moisture drain on before the air goes into the tank.

I wouldnt bother with a regulator, if you system is set for 6 bar and you have a fairly large tank you can run air tools without a problem.

wizard

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal