AuthorTopic: P38 Rings  (Read 1733 times)

Offline BigBlueBeast

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • RAF Marham, Norfolk
  • Referrals: 0
P38 Rings
« on: August 21, 2011, 17:11:04 »
Hi guys, I am going to be attempting to do the piston rings on my 4.6 V8 rangie. Has anyone on here done it before, and if so, is it easy enough to do (for someone who actually has experience with mechanics and gas turbines!!).

Reason I am doing it is I am burning oil, which is not good and also losing coolant.

Any advice would be fantastic and well appreciated.
http://www.NCCPhotography.co.uk
1997 'P' 300TDi Disco 1 called Daisy - Sold
1992 'K' Shogun Mk2 LWB called Misty - 4x roof spots
                                                          4x front spots - 440 watts TOTAL atm
                                                          CB fitted - channel 21 - All SOLD
1996 "P" Vauxhall Frontera - SOLD
1992 "J" Toyota Hilux - SOLD
1992 "J" Mitsubishi Pajero - SOLD
1995 "M" Land Rover Discovery V8 - SOLD
Next One - 1986 Land Rover 90, EX-Military Yellow - SOLD
1996 "P" Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE LPG Converted, Blue

'YOU NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU TRY'

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: P38 Rings
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 04:11:58 »
Being a P38 shouldn't make that much difference.  Sump comes off easily becasue the axle is well out of the way, just a few pipes bolted to the flange.

EFi meeds taking apart carefully.

heads use composite gaskets and stretchy bolts, these should be renewed aparently.

Rings out, glaze bust the bores and fit new big end bearings whilst you are there (with a little work you can do the mains too).  Stick a new cam(&chain) on it at the same time and it's not far off new :wink:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline BigBlueBeast

Attack Member
    • RAF Marham, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 15:26:10 »
Thanks RRB. It had a new cam and chain just before I bought it, the previous owner actually paid a garage!!

Just reading through the Rave for doing the rings, and it goes on about removing the timing chain and gears! Is this necessary? It's not really something I want to be doing, also it specifically says "DO NOT attempt to de-glaze cylinder bores"

Also, what do you mean about taking apart the EFI?? What needs to be taken apart carefully?

All parts have been ordered: Full head gasket set, including head bolts, conrod bearings and bolts, full set of rings - and a water pump!

Have I forgotten anything?

BBB

http://www.NCCPhotography.co.uk
1997 'P' 300TDi Disco 1 called Daisy - Sold
1992 'K' Shogun Mk2 LWB called Misty - 4x roof spots
                                                          4x front spots - 440 watts TOTAL atm
                                                          CB fitted - channel 21 - All SOLD
1996 "P" Vauxhall Frontera - SOLD
1992 "J" Toyota Hilux - SOLD
1992 "J" Mitsubishi Pajero - SOLD
1995 "M" Land Rover Discovery V8 - SOLD
Next One - 1986 Land Rover 90, EX-Military Yellow - SOLD
1996 "P" Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE LPG Converted, Blue

'YOU NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU TRY'

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 19:46:12 »
I vaguely remember something about P38s having a cylinder bore treatment, nicosil or something, years since I heard about it though so I can't tell you more.

The EFi will be under pressure and you need to remove it in stages unless you are very lucky and double jointed.

I can't see why the cam needs disturbing though, or the water pump come to that.

You need head gaskets, bolts, rocket gaskets, gasket paste for the plenum, valley gasket, sump gasket set, some new jubilee clips, antifreeze, that kind of stuff.

Soak the piston in WD40 overnight before trying to clean them (get the coke off them) with a soft sink scourer, the green ones.

Can't think of anything else :undecided:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal