AuthorTopic: Roof Bar Lights...  (Read 1511 times)

Offline hrh_dave

• Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Lybster, Caithness
  • Referrals: 1
Roof Bar Lights...
« on: August 16, 2011, 22:20:08 »
Hi all...

Just had a bit of spending spree on the 90... bought a roof light bar and a set of IPF's...

I was just curious has to how other people have hidden the wiring and also wired them up... one set was boxed and the other was there display units... and unfortunately they were missing the relay pack for the unboxed set... and they wont have another set in for a few weeks... Hey ho...

Any help much appreciated..

Dave

"Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away."
www.terranomade.co.uk

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Roof Bar Lights...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 22:29:28 »
helps if you have a snorkel to hide the loom down the side or even inside, then enter via the 1/2 inch square gap between bonnet corner and bulkhead.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Beerangel

Attack Member
  • If its broke.... fix it
    • soldridge hamshire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 22:39:55 »
Depending on amount of lights and the amps/watts drawn you can possibly get away with one big relay or two mediocre ones... Normally the bar is earthed to the body so if you have one relay you need one cable running to the lights and daisy chain them I highly suggest you make sure the cable your using is of high enough quality so it doesn't overheat and cause a severe short! It's always a good idea to put a fuse in the same rating as the cable... This ensures the fuse will blow before the cable (which will always last past it's rating sum what)

It's a good idea to run a cable to and from the lights so a loop is made this means if the cable gets broken anywhere down the line you'll still have some lights... (branches can be lil devils) the simplest way to hide the cables depending on the bar obviously is to wrap the bar with tape with the wire under the tape, also stops the chances of the wire getting cut.

As far a getting it into the car that's your choice, either follow the snorkel like daffy said or try and sneak it round the tops of the doors but be careful it doesn't get trapped... The only other way is a drill hole in the roof but obviously if you don't seal it properly it's gonna be a pain in the arse! My rear led flood light is earthed by it's mounting bolt and it's power cable comes thru a 4mm hole I then sealed the lot with rubber mastic from screwfix.. Three years and no problems!

Hope this helps
P38 Rangie 2.5 dhse
110" station wagon
88" S3 Safari
P38 V8 4.6 hse
Isuzu Trooper 3.1 td

Offline slomofo

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:28:01 »
Run mine as an outer and inner pair, two switches two relays one trigger feed.

Wring was looped in and out of the lighting bar and came out as 2lives/one earth above drivers door - then ran down through door seal rubber to behind teh dash binnacle.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal