AuthorTopic: RRC Fan Speed Resistors  (Read 1656 times)

Offline dod51e

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
RRC Fan Speed Resistors
« on: December 01, 2010, 01:05:54 »
Having swapped the heater matrix/box on the RRC I have identified that there must be a problem with the resistors as the fan only works on setting III.  I & II nothing.  The old box/fan was the same and started doing this about a week ago.

The Haynes manual wiring diagram shows two resitors between the switch and the relay prior to feeding the fan motor.  The fan has a 5pin connector that only used two wired.  The green, white and orange wires connect to a resistor in the fan housing but nothing else.  Just a positive feed and negative to earth wire at the connector.  Both boxes have the same internals.

Does anyone know where and what these resistors look like as I would like to have the function of I & II speeds?

Offline gingernutsv8

Attack Member
Re: RRC Fan Speed Resistors
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:13:59 »
swap the switch first as i had this problem an it turned out to be the switch
If it ain't broke hit it with a big hammer then it will be.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:51:02 »
It's unlikely to be the switch, as I assume you changed the switch over when you swapped heaters...?

The resistor is under the windscreen scuttle panel, you can access it by pulling out the passenger side vent, it's a little awkward, but perfectly doable, I did mine earlier this year.

The connector plug is normally inside the dash, and *may* pull through, if not it is a case of removing the vent surround trim inside until you can see it (it's a 5 pin red block) and poking it up through the gromit, then detatch and reconnect the new one.

Can I suggest, rather than using the very pricey one from LR, pick up one of these instead : http://britpart.com/Accessory.asp?PageRef=4&AccessoryRef=1232&AccessoryVehicleRef=

Yes I know it is Britpart, but they are made somewhere else and resold over here, manufacturers website is here:

http://www.roverparts.com/Instructions/RRC_A-C_Heater_Blower_Resistor_PRC8010_1.cfm

HTH.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 13:24:12 »
It's unlikely to be the switch, as I assume you changed the switch over when you swapped heaters...?

The resistor is under the windscreen scuttle panel, you can access it by pulling out the passenger side vent, it's a little awkward, but perfectly doable, I did mine earlier this year.

The connector plug is normally inside the dash, and *may* pull through, if not it is a case of removing the vent surround trim inside until you can see it (it's a 5 pin red block) and poking it up through the gromit, then detatch and reconnect the new one.

Can I suggest, rather than using the very pricey one from LR, pick up one of these instead : http://britpart.com/Accessory.asp?PageRef=4&AccessoryRef=1232&AccessoryVehicleRef=

Yes I know it is Britpart, but they are made somewhere else and resold over here, manufacturers website is here:

http://www.roverparts.com/Instructions/RRC_A-C_Heater_Blower_Resistor_PRC8010_1.cfm

HTH.
This seems like the problem.  Just wish I had asked before I put the damn thing back together.  Did yours have AC?  Is it the facia vent you remove or the windscreen vent?

Cheers

Mark

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 14:20:30 »
Yep, mine has AC, it's the fascia vent, with the nice wood surround :)

Behind that and a few hundred screws later you can get to it with one hand usually.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal