AuthorTopic: rrc abs  (Read 2168 times)

Offline gingernutsv8

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
rrc abs
« on: November 15, 2010, 17:39:38 »
Well the Range Rover passed it's mot at the weekend now tonight the abs is playing up. The peddle started to pulse when braking as though it was sliding when i released it i could hear what sounded like the relays clicking.     Any idea's  :(
If it ain't broke hit it with a big hammer then it will be.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: rrc abs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:04:18 »
Well the sensation is the ABS kicking in, that's how it should be.  Question is why.

Did the lights come on and have now gone off or are they still on (not at 1.30 am I mean but when you drive it).

Quite possibly a sensor has come adrift, the front ones often need tapping back home and perhaps the tester has dislodged them whilst checking bearings.

Strictly the sensors should go in with a new securing ring but it's such a faff to fit whereas a screwdriver and mallet will drift it back home with the wheels on full lock, you don't need a jack even.

If that doesn't cure it then do a blink test.  Irrespective of year the ABS ECU lives under the LHS seat and there's a 4 pin plug at the front by the flap.  Remove the cap and look for 2 wires, black and black/purple IIRC but the 2 blackones.
On the outer edge of the seat (run the seat forewards and up) you'll find a blue relay that needs to come out.

With the relay out, turn on the ignition and shhort the 2 black wires, tweezers,peaperclip etc.  The system keeps displaying the same code until you remove the short, then it will finisht the code before clearing it, next time you short the wires it displays the second most recent fault etc, when it displays non it's cleared them all.

You can find the code on't net or in the Disco section.  Take you an hour perhaps first time.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline gingernutsv8

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 08:39:21 »
the lights do not come on only when i press the peddle harder and  find it struggles to stop then the lights come on and stay on but it does not do it all the time

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 16:56:30 »
I know the TC light comes on when the TC cuts in, perhpas you just don't have much grip :-k :-k

Do a blink test to see if there ae any faults, clear them all then see if any come back next time you drive it.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline gingernutsv8

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 17:25:58 »
plenty of grip dry road

Offline squaddie_fox

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 15:44:22 »
Mine used to do that. hadn't had it long, checked the rear discs and pads and they were pretty knackered, changed them and made sure all the sensors were seated right and it went away. On mine it was most likely just the rear sensor not working properly as the crap from the disc had got into the ABS ring so the sensor wouldn't have been getting the right info.

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 22:48:23 »
rusty disks will also effect brake efficiency on that wheel which can cause problem in ABS systems.

Offline gingernutsv8

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 07:33:11 »
well after getting the steam cleaner on the rear wheels (back of) it seams to be ok so as part of checking going to tap the sensors cheers eveybody

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal