AuthorTopic: Can you clear the Amber "check engine" Light?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Can you clear the Amber "check engine" Light?
« on: October 01, 2010, 23:37:16 »
I have the amber "check engine" light on the dash, due to a lumpy rough running engine, I think, I have fitted a new distributor which has smoothed out the engine nicely, so I was wondering, can I read or just clear the fault to clear the amber light?

I can go to my local independent but would like to do it myself if possible?

Tar

Jonny

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Can you clear the Amber "check engine" Light?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 00:57:45 »
Disconnect the battery.  The 14CUx ecu has no keep-alive memory so will loose any "learned" settings after a couple of seconds.

that said if the fault had cleared I think the light should go out, that said i don't think they are even enabled on UK spec cars so I've never had one come on even when I knew the EFi was faulty.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:21:56 »
I think it's because I have a Optimax chip in, they have activated some of the monitoring systems not turned on on the standard chip.... Thanks RRB will try that.

Ps. I am about to order Gen 3's for the front so will have them all round!...... birthdays are always good!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 20:19:13 »
Happy days :D  you can start to access the exra travel in high profile now.   just watch the front propshaft on the anti roll bar, you'll need to space the rear one too.  If you need to reprogram the sensors you'll have to pop down one weekend.

Did you get your shocks sorted out yet?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 21:54:58 »
Yes I can confirm, is does work, I took the battery off for a couple of hours put it back on and all is well, no lights on the dash  :thumbup:

RRB Will double check every thing once the gen 3's are on, and no I haven't sorted shocks out as yet, I asked for cash for my birthday with the plan of getting the shocks done..... but opted for gen 3's instead as the fronts are leaking air now.

RRB Fancy a day at an 400 acre off road sight in mid Shropshire? complete with an obstacle course, 1:1 hills a river run etc.? I've booked it for a day on the 13th November (Birthday treat!) and need to get a minimum of 5 vehicle's to go to make it

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 01:21:59 »
Love to but can''t :(  Blue is a project at the moment and I have no time or money.

You can get away with a 2" drop on your shock mounts, I'm looking at doing the front ones myself and Wizard makes the back ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal