AuthorTopic: hot hot HOT - will I have damaged anything???  (Read 1832 times)

Offline JimP

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
hot hot HOT - will I have damaged anything???
« on: September 28, 2010, 14:51:39 »
Went out in my range rover the weekend which resulted in massive overheating! I've only had the car a week, and now realise its because I didn't turn on the manual electric fans!  :oops:

I drove for a fair few miles home while the temp gauge was in the red - am I likely to have done any damage?? anything I can test for??? (it's a 300tdi)

Jim  :oops:
Disco 300tdi - for laning
Suzuki Vitara - for playing!!

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: hot hot HOT - will I have damaged anything???
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 16:20:11 »
stooooooopid added electric fans, do not belong on a 4x4. 300tdi do not like it hot, over heating is their biggest killer resulting in head and pistons melting with pistons picking up on the bore and trashing that with molten alloy crumpling the turbo blades so pretty much an economic write off. They usually just stop running and refuse to start and that the first time owner noticed anything was wrong, expanding coolant hoses and sending fountains of water out of the coolant bottle when crank the next signs.
If it still starts up and runs and sounds normally, no strange noises or vibrations, with no obvious consumption of coolant, instantly pressurised cooling system, oil in coolant, leaks, water in oil, burnt smells etc you seem to have got away with it. Definitely check it over carefully for heat damage signs - think about replacing coolant, engine, oil weakened hoses/bottle. Fit the viscous fan !
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 16:25:23 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline doda456

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 22:49:26 »
tdis dont throw out that much heat, so i run mine without a viscous fan but i have swapped the incredibly vague/optimistic landrover themperature sensor for a after market 52mm one.

What i reccomend doing is fitting a x eng fan controller as this will automatically turn the fans on for you.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 00:13:06 »
If the guage stayed in the red and was still full of water then you're best off just seeing how it goes.  DOn't be surprised if the head gasket goes soon though.  If it lost water then I'd say OH DEAR, never mind but if it still had water up to the thermostat elbow then you may get away with it.  The red section of the guage does not mean you have melted the engine, it means it getting too hot.

Also you don't need a fan all the time but like others I'd suggest an automatic fan switch.  Wizard sells a good one or Merlin motorsport at Castle Coombe do a fixed temp one (fit it lower down the rad for a hotter temp) for about
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline JimP

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:47:32 »
well its its running fine, but is a little low on fluid, but there's no signs of any being lost anywhere so maybe it was anyway  :oops:

See how it goes then, fingers crossed!!!

Defo getting a temp switch on it now though!!!
Disco 300tdi - for laning
Suzuki Vitara - for playing!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 21:14:53 »
To help keep an eye on it wire up a warning lamp to the temp switch then you'll know how much time the fan is on for.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal