AuthorTopic: GAS how hard is it to fit?????  (Read 3207 times)

Offline ukmudmaster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
  • Referrals: 0
GAS how hard is it to fit?????
« on: September 27, 2010, 22:30:39 »
Been offered a single point system, already on a V8. how difficult is it to fit, and more importantly, set up, to a 3.9 V8 RRC ?
Ant advice more than welcome,
Dave
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
Re: GAS how hard is it to fit?????
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 23:45:18 »
Fitting is simple.  I would recommend new pipework and unions easily obtainable from TinleyTech.

As for setting up it is relatively simple provided you can find out which adjustment is which; demand and idle valve.  Search for LPG forum; there is a wealth of knowledge on there.

Beyond fitting you may wish to consider contacting your insurers.  Some insist on a certificate and some don't but always worth informing them as not doing so could invalidate your insurance.

Hope this helps.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 18:39:40 »
If you are gonna fit it yourself... get it tested & certified for safety or first bump you have insurance will use it as an escape clause.

Also... We had a single point system on our 3.9 RRC and were told it shgould really have had a multi point.

Skibum

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 00:16:13 »
If it's second hand you need to know how it was set up.  My multi point system runs a self callibration which is dead easy.  Once a system has been run in it will lean off )IIRC) because the pressure reg softens up.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 14:07:09 »
If you are gonna fit it yourself... get it tested & certified for safety or first bump you have insurance will use it as an escape clause.

Also... We had a single point system on our 3.9 RRC and were told it shgould really have had a multi point.

Skibum

No need at all to be sequential on a 3.9, it was the P38 onwards that really should be.... they were looking for a few extra quid methinks.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 21:57:37 »
I disagree.  My LSE is multipoint and unlike a single point system it ran (when new) with no loss of power comprared to petrol, at least that I could tell.  It also means you have no restriction in the air flow from the "injector" on a single point and there is no risk of backfire like with a single point, so no more sweeping up bits of air filter or having to replace the servo unit like on Blue.

Multipoint does of course work better with sequential petrol injection rather than the banked system fitted to classics, the 14CUx.  To get around this I fitted the manifolds front and rear of the engine rather than left and right so there are 2 LH LPG injectors and 2 RH LPG injedctors on each of the 2 LPG manifolds.  The manifold being part of the vapourised LPG delivery system within the engine bay.  On a OMVL multipoint system the LPG injector valves are mounted on the manifold whereas on my Romano system they are in-line on the rubber hose directly above the cylinder head.

I also found the set-up for a multipoint an absolute doddle, unlike the old draw-through systems.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 17:02:31 »
All true, BUT, there's still no *NEED* to be multi-point on a Classic, thousands have run with a single point, open or closed loop, for years with no problems at all.

Set up is very easy if it is a closed loop single point, much quicker than a sequential, just twist an adjuster and watch the LEDs flash.

RRB, your 'no loss of power' may be down to how some multipoint systems actually fire the petrol injectors when under full load to get the last 10% of performance out of it, this is definitely true for Romano/Bigas N etc variants.

Also, as far as certification goes, some insurance companies require it, some don't, just make sure you have it on the list of modifications.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 01:07:02 »
Tell the honest truth my Romano system flips back onto petrol under hard acceleration if the LPG tank is getting empty but either way it's noticeable that the lack of power I've experienced in single point systems isn't there on the multipoint.  My sister had a OMVL Dream XXI multipoint and that was probably a better system, again no loss of power even flat out.  Sadly that car got nicked.

Agreed that in theory at least a single point wil do the same job, LPG systems are probably not as advanced as petrol injection after all, but I suspect that multipoint may be slightly more economical, more driveable and less problamatic.

Very much as I had to though, you need to decide if these things justify the extra cost, for late model RRC, especially with the bigger engines I was advised to go multipoint and I'm glad that I did.

A 3.9 will run on single point and run quite well, you can even get away with a draw-through system (that's what I have on Blue).  You pays your money and takes your choice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal