AuthorTopic: Buying a Series  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Lyndsey731

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Buying a Series
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:37:07 »
Hi

I've snuck over from the Discovery Section as I'm after some advice please chaps.
I'm going to have a look at a 1969 Series 2a (I think, don't shout if I'm wrong) that a friend of a friend wants rid of. It's been in his family for 30 years and now just sits on the drive. He spent

Offline Bigant45

Attack Member
Re: Buying a Series
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 18:24:03 »
Give that chassis and the bulk head a good looking over. And try all the gears in 2 and 4 wheel drive high and low. If those items all pass the test then take it home. Just understand that you will probably be doing some type of repair weekly on it afterwards. "it gets you out the house" The engine will be a thirsty little thing. My mate and i have put the 200tdi and the 300tdi in ours. Good Luck. These trucks have Caritta and bone shaking springs, unless they have been updated to the less bone shaking para spings. Good Luck.

Offline mud4brains

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 20:51:58 »

hope you enjoy it.. there great trucks..  :dance:
landrover , repairs and modifacations undertaken
located in surrey
pm for details
cheers
mark

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 20:57:24 »
With the risk of stating the obvious, they are very basic so you should have no problem in seeing what may be wrong. You will be able to buy just about any part needed from the likes of Paddocks, etc, and most of it just bolts or screws on. Parts are relatively cheap compared to modern cars and classics the likes of MG's, Triumph's, etc.

If it has been standing a while you will probably need to do a bit of work on the brakes (no servo, drums all around). New points and plugs would probably help but as stated above, fuel consumption is poor anyway. Swivel balls may be rusty and/or leaking but you have probably had dealings with them on other Land Rovers. I had a leaking fuel tank when I restored mine so just bought a new one (about
Spacemud misses his Land Rovers :o(

Offline Lyndsey731

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:27:34 »
Thanks Chaps!

It's a bit embarrassing really, nearly forty and as excited as a little kid at Christmas!!

I'm sure I'll be back here soon for more help.

Gav

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:13:40 »
Have fun, it will teach you loads about keeping a real car maintained and is to be looked on as a hobby else you'll soon get bored of the grubby fingernails.
 Don't think it mentioned about but being a landrover that's been around awhile it possible infested with previous owner mods and if they are electrical mods they can be hair pulling experience to fault find and put right especially on a electrical system which was bad enough in an original LUCAS born state :lol
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal