Vehicle & Technical > Discovery

Replacing Disco 1 driver's door hinges

<< < (2/5) > >>

Disco Matt:
I'll have a look - I have a feeling that the retaining straps at the bottom have survived, or at least they're both still present even if I'm not sure what they're connected to!  :lol:

There is some sort of fixing at the front end where the wing panel folds to fit behind the bumper end cap too IIRC? I'll try drowning everything in Plusgas and see if it'll move.

barmiebrumie:
Hi Matt,

I would do it the same way as Chris has suggested (10mm bolts inside wing/door), if you can get hold of some heat it will help on the retaining strap/bolts as these will otherwise twist & snap but can be fabricated quite easyily

John

Range Rover Blues:
On a 300 the doors are bolted on with t40 torx headed bolts and adjusted with shims under the hinge.  I've snapped 3 bits trying to remove a rear door hinge.  You also need to check that the carcase do the door has not rusted because the hinges bolt to a reinforced section, later (300 onwards) LR products are not made fomr the same quality steel as earlier LRs and the doors rust badly inside out.  The door on ours dropped because the door is rusty allowing the hinge to twist away from the door.  Taking the dor off and wleding it will sort it out.

the electrics plug in just inside the 'A' post trim, 3 or 4 plugs that you can't mix up.  you do have to feed the loom through both skins of the 'A' post though, it is gromited in both skins.

I would suggest though that the concealed hinges are designed to lift apart if you remove a clip on each hinge, this makes lifting na door off a one-man-job rather that trying to unbolt hem whilst holding them up with your teeth.

Disco Matt:
Mine is definitely due to wear in the hinges - you can see the movement if you pull up on the door handle. I have spare circlips for the new hinges and I suspect I'll need to take the old ones off in stages (the bit that bolts to the wing will block access to the bit attached to the door).

Disco Matt:
If anyone else decides to do this, be warned: The "captive" nuts on the inside of the door are not actually attached to anything. They will instead fall down inside the door with a gleeful clattering noise, after which you'll have to dismantle the door to get the part back!

Next question, does anyone know how to hang a door? I've got the new hinge in but I need to get the panel gaps even, I pulled one of the shims out in an effort to get it to hang properly and now it's closer to the front of the space than the back.

My plan is to open the door, loosen the bolts re-insert the shim, then use a bottle jack and a block of wood to gently raise it before tightening them again, hopefully with the door at the right height. I'll also be loosening the wing bolts and trying to massage it into the proper alignment as I've now got uneven panel gaps either side of the bonnet.

On the plus side, I didn't find horrific amounts of rust on my inner wing!  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version